Choices

Anne's P.O.V

I opened my eyes to see something white. It was large and shiny, making the whole room seem clean and neat. Fuck. Hospital. I was lying on a bed, in the middle. Should I sit up? Wouldn't it hurt? I put my hand under my T-shirt to feel the bandages on my stomach and chest, but I didn't feel anything. Only my skin, which was smoother than ever.  This can't be happening. I was shot. I know that, I couldn't heal in five seconds. Or wait...How long has it been since then? Maybe it's been months or years. Don't tell me there is no clock in this room. Am I in a coma? This is what that feels like? Or maybe I'm dead and this is heaven. Or so if I even get to heaven and not hell. Is there heaven really? Or an afterlife?

Tzuyu must be worried. Tzuyu...holy shit, what happened to her? She didn't got shot did she? Is she alive, is she happy? Maybe she's already found someone else for herself. Someone better, who could protect her more than me. What time is it really? I need to find a clock. A calendar maybe. I need to know where I am. Or when I am.

I pushed myself up to look around me. The room was empty except for the bed I was sitting on. There was a door on my right, plain white, just like my clothing. White T-shirt and white pants, without shoes. I let my legs hang from the edge of the bed for a few minutes.

Maybe I should look around. The door must lead somewhere...somewhere I can do something. I need to find Tzuyu, I need to calm her, I need to tell her I'm fine. Nothing happened.

I let my feet touch the ground. I was expecting something ice-cold, but it was nice and warm. I wasn't cold even if I was barefoot. I stood up and looked around once more. I noticed a mirror on the wall on the left. I saw myself. 

My hair was a little messy as always, but it was what suited me. My eyes were blue and lively, I was relaxed but energetic. The cuts on my chin and next to my right eye weren't visible. Is this really some kind of afterlife, where injuries don't show? I was curious. But it wasn't a stressing kind of inquisitiveness. It was like if I was a child who needs to find the treasure. No rush and no expectations. No pressure. I walked to the door slowly to open it up. I touched the handle and pushed it down.

I stepped into another room. A woman was sitting at a table with her back facing me. Her hair was in braids and she was writing something. Maybe drawing. The room was just as white as the other. I looked behind me only to see that there was no door there anymore. I walked up to the woman to call her.

"Sorry, miss...could you help me?" - I asked as I stepped closer. She didn't answer. - "I was wondering...where are we exactly?" - she turned around to face me. I felt my eyes widen as I looked at her.

"Vieni qui, piccola mia!" (Come here, little one.)

"Mamma?" - I asked as I felt tears forming in my eyes as she nodded, smiling brightly. Her brown eyes showed the love and caring I missed so much in these past years. She got up and came up to me, cupping my face in her hands.

I grabbed her hands on my cheeks when she wiped the tears streaming down from my eyes. She looked exactly as I remembered. She was smaller than me, with maybe thirty centimetres, but she was the greatest person I've ever came across in my life.

"Hi there, little one..." - she wishpered as I cried silently under her touch. - "I missed you so-so much." - she said when she pulled me down to put her forehead on mine.

"M-me too mom, me too." - I told her sniffling, trying to stop myself from crying.

"Don't hold back your tears, little one. You haven't cried in years. You deserve to let out your emotions." - She caressed my back, the way only she could do it. I inhaled her scent, the one that made our family house home, the one that smelled like raspberry and freshly baked pancake.