Chapter 2

The next morning, the entire car ride from Heart of Grace Medical Center was spent in tense silence. Occasionally my mom or dad would try to say something to lighten the mood, but one look in the rearview mirror at my face was enough to shut them up. Presently, it was ten o’clock on a Friday morning. Yesterday, when Doctor Simmons had basically written my death certificate and I had tried my damndest to strangle him with my eyes, was behind us. I spent the later part of the day and the rest of the night locked in a room with thick, clear plastic doors, so I couldn't do anything damaging to myself. So unfortunately, I had to settle for glaring like mad at my captors until I could be transferred. It was over an hour drive through the countryside to get to Brooks County Hospital, an hour filled with resentment and hesitation. We were nearly there when my mother decided to try her fourth attempt at conversation.
"Sweetie... You know we love you, right? All we want is for you to be happy."
I saw her eyes quickly flit to the rearview mirror and down again. I scoffed spitefully.
"Yeah, is that why you're tearing me away from my life, my friends, and can't even muster enough courage to look your only daughter in the eye?" I smirked bitterly as my mother gave a shocked gasp and whipped around in her seat to glare at me.
"Abigail, you're sick! You haven't gotten over Andrew's death, and it is obviously having negative repercussions on your mental state!" Her voice had lowered to a dangerous level from her normal, perky squeak. I narrowed my eyes and locked in on her.
"I'm sick? At least I haven't given up hope! You keep saying he's dead, but no body has been found! Are you giving up on your son so-"
"ENOUGH!" My mother screeched. Her knuckles were white from clutching her seat so hard.
"Linda," My father scolded. "Don't yell at her like that. You know you're supposed to watch your blood pressure. And Abby, it's alright that you're keeping hopeful, but shreds of his clothes were found..." He trailed off, and then let out a sigh that seemed to carry several years worth of stress. "Anyways, we're here."
I scowled hatefully at the back of my mother's blonde head as we pulled into a long, secluded drive. Twisting around in my seat, I took in the scenery. We had turned away from a small patch of woods and were driving down a narrow, snow-covered dirt road. Open fields surrounded us as we approached a tall, wrought iron black gate.
"I think there's been a mistake." I muttered, taking in the ten-foot tall or so brick wall that extended away from both sides of the gate for what seemed like eternity.
"Looks like old Simmy sent me to prison instead of the nut house."
My mother sent me a short warning look through the mirror as my father slowed to a crawl in front of the gate. When he was within a few feet of it, the whole gate suddenly started sliding to the left behind the brick wall.
"They're waiting..." I sang eerily as thoughts of escape briefly danced across my mind. The SUV doors were unlocked, and if I hopped out now, I'd be running free! Towards miles of woods and endless expanses of frozen countryside... I sighed and flopped dramatically against the back seat.

         It wasn't long before my father had parked the car and was unloading my things. My mother had packed light for me, seeing as patients only needed to bring undergarments and were provided with everything else upon arrival. I only had two small bags, which contained my toiletries and knick knacks to remind me of the ones I loved most in my life; Andrew and Jennifer Collins, my best friend.
My father had just turned around with my bags in hand when he abruptly stopped short. A tall, slender woman in a white lab coat, black slacks, and rectangular-rimmed glasses was standing before my father, not two feet away.
"Well hello there!" She exclaimed in a chipper, English-accented voice while clasping her hands together in front of her.
"My name is Dr. Laura Sprite, head Psychiatrist here. Welcome to Brooks County Hospital!" Her light blue eyes danced from my father to my mother and finally to me as she surveyed us with a pleasant, tight-lipped smile.
"Uhh... Hi." My father extended a hesitant hand in her direction. "My name is Charles, my wife over here is Linda, and that's our little girl Abigail."
My mother gave a small, nervous wave as he indicated towards us.
"Well," Dr. Sprite began. "We're very pleased to have you here!" She suddenly gave a violent shiver that looked suspiciously fake and looked towards the sky. "Oh my, it is cold out here, isn't it?" Her saccharine smile was trained on me as I stood there, unmoving, and returned her empty stare. I wasn't fazed by the cold, seeing as I was currently dressed in a forest green wool pea coat, black leggings and matching snow boots. Her lab coat didn't stand a chance, and I briefly wondered if she wasn't warned about our weather when she transferred here from wherever she was from. With another pleasant smile, she turned and led us inside.