Chapter One

Chaos ensued in the dark night that hung over Seattle, due to the multiple rogue newborn vampires that infested the streets. A local boy named Riley Biers was at the front of the line, acting as though he was their king. Standing on the sidelines, trying her absolute hardest not to get involved in the riot, was a girl who had never seen more madness.

A gust of wind caused Serena Shepherd's long black hair to smack her in the face. She used one hand to try and wrestle the strands away, but the scene before her proved she much rather prefered the vision blockade. Uncontrollable vampires were feeding on innocent residences of Seattle, some of them being turned into more vampires while others were killed to satisfy the thirst of those already changed.

Screams filled the foggy air as the pavement turned a warm shade of scarlet. Bright flames roared out of crashed vehicles, while bodies littered the area.

Serena knew who was behind this. The same vampire that had turned her, twenty five years ago, was now building an army. Serena didn't know why, but the plan was unfolding right before her own darkened eyes. The scene was all too tempting for the young woman, but she fought the urge to join in on the fight. Serena had sworn to herself that she would never feed on a human being, but she still had to survive. She'd occasionally steal blood bags from a hospital, and live off those. Since her father was human, Serena had to quickly learn how to control herself.

Victoria, a vampire with curly fire coloured hair, was the one who turned Serena. The woman didn't mind feeding on humans, which made Serena's oath to herself extremely difficult. Victoria and Riley deemed to be the leaders of the newborn army, and it seemed that not a single one of them had any morality left. The newborns were dying of thirst, and Riley loved to watch them fight. He knew he was making Victoria proud.

Ever since Serena had been turned into a vampire, she felt the need to stay loyal to Victoria and be apart of her coven. It was like they were connected, and Serena stuck through all the hysteria that came with sticking by Victoria's side. She had heard stories about how the woman had a burning desire for revenge because her mate had been brutally murdered. Victoria had gone off the grid many times, and always came back angry. Serena hardly ever saw her.

However, as Serena watched the newborns with an expression of disturbance she saw a flash of red run across the pavement and figured it could only be one person. Serena squinted through the fog and the wreckage, trying to see what the red head was doing.

She was standing beside someone but Serena couldn't make out a face. Using her vamp speed, the woman made her way over. To her disbelief, there was a person that she recognized sitting on the ground, unconcious and tied to a light post behind who Serena now knew to be Riley and Victoria.

"Serena! If it isn't my favourite girl." Victoria greeted her with a smirk, before looking down at the man on the ground. "You know him?" She asked. Before Serena could answer, Riley had untied the man and hoisted him up to his feet, just as the man came back to reality. He fought as hard as he could against Riley's restraints, but the aged man was no match for the vampire.

"Yeah." Serena swallowed thickly as she looked between Riley and Victoria. "That's my father."

The man gave up on fighting against Riley, his shoulders rising and falling rapidly as he tried to catch his breath. The fabric tied around his head and in his mouth made that quite difficult.

"Oh, it's dear old dad! You know, I've seen him around town. He's a polite old man." Riley's eyes were blood red as he smirked, holding the man so tightly his knuckles turned more pale than Serena thought was possible.

"You hurt him, Riley, and I swear I'll rip your head from it's shoulders!" Serena snarled, her fists curled into tight balls. If she were human, her palms would be bleeding.