Chapter 5

Staring at the crystal clear water below, I sigh in content - finding the peaceful serenity calming, despite our current situation. Trumpkin had explained to us all that the reason were hear is due to a man names Prince Caspian - a Telmerine Prince whom ran away from his kingdom. Apparently, he blew Susan's horn and we were magically transported here - an unknown quality that I knew nothing about. Although, it does make sense, for Father Christmas did say help would come - no matter the distance. Only now we've been thrust into an ongoing war between Narnia and Telmar - one that apparently has been going on for thirteen hundred years. Lucy's sudden voice brings me out of my thoughts - my attention drawn toward the front of the Telmerine boat to the youngest Pevensie, her gaze set on the trees above the chasm were currently drifted through.

"They're so still."

I peer up at the trees for a few seconds before I state at the water once again, a small ounce of sadness bubbling inside of me. Despite the small breeze that ruffles my hair, there are no dryad spirits nor nymphs that appear - almost like they no longer exist. I hear Trumpkin scoff ever so slightly at her words, responding in an instant.

"They're trees. What do you expect?"

Biting my lip, I gaze up at him with soft eyes as Lucy tells him they used to dance. It's true, while they may have been home to small talking creatures, or dryads that would often come out to say hello, the trees themselves would appear alive - moving slightly to their own music. It was always a magical sight to see them act in such a way, it honestly made me feel special. Trumpkin, however, sighs loudly in a way that makes me believe he doesn't believe her.

"It wasn't long after you lot left that the Telmerine's invaded. Those that survived retreated to the woods and the trees, well, they retreated so deep into themselves that they haven't been heard from since."

As guilt bubbles up inside me, I send the dwarf an apologetic look - trying to convey all my feelings into one simply gaze. It doesn't seem to work, however, as he stares at the water below - ignoring Lucy as she lets out a sigh of frustration.

"I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?"

All of a sudden, I see Trumpkin snap his head in the direction of Lucy - so much so I fear his head is about to fall straight off. I notice Susan pull Lucy closer to her for the gleam in Trumpkin's eyes is rather hard and fearful.

"Aslan? He abandoned us when you lot did."

Silence envelops us all, his words cutting me deep - almost worse than a dagger could ever do. I begin to ring my hands together, trying to focus on something else rather than my guilt that is bursting to come out. Suddenly, I feel something wrapping itself around my shoulders - my eyes peering upward to see the Pevensie boy beside me comfortably placing his arm. Ignoring the increase of my heartbeat, I send Edmund a grateful smile as I shuffle closer - leaning my head against his own shoulder with a soft sigh. It feels nice, openly displaying this type of affection but a small part of me realises it's simply because we're friends - nothing else. Despite this, I don't let it bother me as try to get comfortable - knowing this could be a long ride. Suddenly, Andrew lets out a soft groan that catches my attention.

"We didn't mean to leave, you know."

His voice is soft and genuine, as though degrading himself for ever following Lucy and I back into the wardrobe in the first place. After all, if we'd never remembered, then we would still be the rulers of Narnia - keeping the Golden Ages alive as Trumpkin had put it. The dwarf suddenly lets out a scoff, myself watching as he rolls his eyes in disbelief.

"It makes no difference now, does it?"

My brother opens his mouth to respond, but his words are cut off by Peter - the boy holding an intense gaze above Edmund's and my head, the fire burning brightly behind them.