Chapter 1: Another Morning

(Matthew's POV)

The annoying sound of my alarm echoed through my silent room, telling me it was yet another school day. I painfully swung my arm to hit the snooze button with one of my extra pillows. Slowly, I pulled myself out of my bed from the safety of my comfortable old bed to change my bandages; luckily for me mon pere was a doctor, or else we would've ran out of medical supplies long ago. I made sure my bandages were secure before climbing into my undergarments, and my favourit pair of dark blue skinny jeans. It was difficult to slip on my sweater this morning, but I managed, not bothering with a shirt. I finished off my look by putting on my glasses and grabbing my stuffed bear. This has been my routine for the past while since I moved from our little town in Northern Quebec.

"Mon petit Mathieu~! Come down for breakfast, s'il vous plaît!" My father, Francis, called from the bottem of the stairs. His hair tied back as per usual when he was cooking.

"Yeah Mattie! Dad made pancakes! Hurry up!" My half brother, Alfred, who called from the kitchen.

It sounds like he's in here with me... I say to myself as I called down to them both, my voice being too quiet for them to hear as usual. I practically fall out of my door, tripping over my dirty laundry, and in turn nearly flipping over the top railing. I then stumble near the end of the stairs and into mon papa. He just laughed light-heartedly and usured me into the kitchen, where I saw Alfred with a huge mound of food on his plate, and a giant glass of what looked like a strawberry milkshake., then I did what I did every morning, I glanced around to see if everything was in it's proper place.

Now, our kitchen was somewhat different than most. Our family had it set up like a professional cook would have it; with our long island in the middle of the room, dividing the eating area from the cooking one. There was a large rack that hung over the island that held all of our cooking utensils, average pans, and 5 pairs of oven mits; there were 10 burners on one end of the island, and the sinks at the other. For the rest of the cooking area, and in order, there was a large pantry for all of our dired and canned food, two stacked ovens, a microave oven, and cabinates filled with baking and measuring bowls. On the other half of the room, there is a large tabe that can sit 6 on its own, but there is three leafs that can go in so it can sit more. There is also a oak china cabinet that holds all ov our dishes and silverware for all occations. When you turn to leave the rom and to enter the rest of the house, Dad put his favourite quote that he made up himself, "L'amour pet apporter la paix, mais il peut aussi causer des querres" in perminant marker to remind us what all has happened to us.

"Yo Mattie! You wanna have three or four pancakes?" Alfred asked me, snapping me out of the daze I was in whilst looking at the phrase on the wall.

"U-um three please." I responded, joining my brother at the table; I sat my bear on the chair beside me and grabbed my Holy Grail: maple surup. I gingerly pour the golden brown liquid onto my breakfast, with a huge smile on my face; this was truely my favourite time of the day.

"AHAHAHA!! Mattie, dude, do you want some more pancakes with your surup?" Alfred bursted out, continuing to laugh. He then procceded to shove yet another pancake into his mouth.

"I think I will be okay, thanks for asking Alfie," I respond with a smile, and stared to eat my own breakfast; this was the first meal of a new day, and hopefully not a bad one.