Chapter 22

"May you have good hunting, Swift running, and shelter where you sleep, Whiteheart." Stormstar's loud, sad voice called into the clearing. Cats were respecting the queen who helped her clan so much be providing he future for he clan itself.

Crowpelt was especially moved by her death. The deputy was one of the strongest and respected cats in the clan, but it was her mother after all. She was the only one in her litter who survived, so Whiteheart made sure to love and protect her like a lion.

The deputy would not get up, or allow any other acts to sit by her mother for vigil. Not even her father, Deerstrut. Finally, through her grief, she let other cats sit vigil. Horsepaw, as the only apprentice, sat vigil, but made sure she sat far away from the deputy.

Whirlpaw padded up to her. He crouched down quietly and put his nose close to her ear. "I don't know why you're sitting vigil for Whiteheart, but I respect that, and I just want you to know that I miss you in battle training." He licked her ear then walked away towards the apprentices' den, looking back and smiling at her. She smiled sweetly. She could always trust him.

Soon the vigil began, and she was surrounded by utter silence. Horsepaw thought about the short time that she had known Whiteheart, but the great times they'd had together. She was so wise and helpful to Horsepaw during those troubling times. She got comfortable, but not too comfortable to fall asleep, and prepared for the long night's vigil.
<•>
In the morning, Horsepaw got up and stretched her legs. Then she remembered: The Gathering was tonight! Maybe she'd get to go.

She was approaching the fresh-kill pile, when she saw a cat come up to her.

"Horsepaw," Stormstar's voice rang in the morning's silence. "Come to my den." With that, he whipped away to his den.

Horsepaw turned to face him, but he was already storming towards the Big Rock den.

She walked up to his den, and saw him talking with his mate, Scarletnose.

"Scarletnose, can Horsepaw and I talk for a moment please? Alone?" He asked. She nodded and padded out the den, and acknowledged Horsepaw with a flick of her tail.

"Sit," He ordered.

Horsepaw made herself comfortable on the hard stone, and she tucked her paws beneath her.

"You know you're assessments are coming up. In a few days, actually." He began, chewing on a bone from his morning thrush. "Are you sure you still want to do this? You know what's at stake or you loose."

Horsepaw nodded confidentially.

"Okay." He sighed. "But I've noticed you've helped Creamleaf more than training with Bounceheart. Do you want to become a medicine cat after all this?" He spat.

Horsepaw's lip curled. "What's wrong with a medicine cat?" She mouthed harshly.

He smirked. "Oh, nothing," He laughed. "Just that they can't have a mate, or get the feeling that they protected their clan by winning a battle. All they know how to defend themselves is by using herbs!"

Horsepaw sighed and looked him in the eyes. Her eyes narrowed. "I do not want to become a medicine cat."

Stormstar nodded. "I knew you had some sense."

Horsepaw drew back. "Are you calling me rabbit-brained?"

Stormstar shook his head. "No, no! I'd never call a warrior of WindClan rabbit-brained." His eyes widened indignantly. "But you better get to battle training. You don't have a lot of time left." And with that, he stalked out the den with his tail high.

Horsepaw shook her head as if to clear it. StarClan, help me decide what I want to do. She pleaded silently.

Out in the clearing, it looked empty. No cat was there, except a few apprentices clearing out the Elder's nests. She padded to the fresh-kill pile and tried to eat for a second time. She picked a small hare and ate it in small, swift bites.

"Hey, Horsepaw!" Called Bounceheart from the warrior's den. He head popped out. "Let's train today, okay? What about now?"

Horsepaw nodded eagerly.

"She's needs to learn herbs right now, Bounceheart," Creamleaf meow answered the warrior's.

"But..." Bounceheart's voice faded to the older she-cat's.

Making sure that she was looking, Horsepaw said to Creamleaf, "I want to train with Bounceheart today, if that's okay,"

"Y-Yeah. Sure, go on ahead." Creamleaf said softly.

Horsepaw nodded, and walked with Bounceheart to the training hollow, but not without noticing Creamleaf's disappointed expression.