Chapter 50

"Let's go," Horsemoon mouthed, rising to her paws. She arched her back in a stretch as Crowpelt rose stiffly. They padded cautiously into Mothermouth. Horsemoon forced her fur to lay flat, and she tried to contain that she was afraid. She didn't want Crowpelt to smell her fear; she was the medicine cat so she was supposed to know what she was doing.

The tunnel was dark, so the she-cats had to use their whiskers to guide them. Horsemoon could barely breathe; she was feeling claustrophobic. But she was no kit. She wasn't afraid of everything.

Soon they entered a small cavern. It was still dark. "Where's the Moonstone?" Crowpelt asked. Horsemoon was a little worried herself. She didn't see it. Was the whole trip for nothing?

Suddenly, the moon shone through a jagged hole in the roof. Its glow landed on a tall stone in the middle. It instantly lit up, shooting colors everywhere. Crowpelt and Horsemoon had to turn to avoid being blinded.

They turned back hesitantly, and Crowpelt gasped. It was beautiful. The Moonstone was an assortment of blues, whites, yellows, and every other color. This is one of the joys of being a medicine cat. Horsemoon thought.

"Now we touch our noses to it," Crowpelt explained softly. They padded up to it, and Crowpelt touched her nose to it. She laid down, and her eyes closed. Her dreams were beginning. Horsemoon followed her actions, scared. She touched it with her nose and was shocked how cold it was. She shivered and tucked her paws underneath her. She shut her eyes and was immediately taken to another world.

She was standing in a clearing. It wasn't anywhere in WindClan territory or any other clan territory. Horsemoon smiled, knowing that she made it.

Horsemoon turned and saw Crowpelt. She was twitching her tail nervously and her fur was standing up. Crowpelt looked at Horsemoon, her yellow eyes gleaming with fear.

"Don't worry, Crowpelt," Horsemoon soothed. She still wasn't used to her voice that she had in StarClan. "It's okay."

Crowpelt's mouth opened. "Y-You can talk!"

Horsemoon nodded and smiled. She was about to reply when a noise came from up ahead. They switched their gazes and saw a cat emerge from the bushes.

"Only in StarClan can she speak." Stormstar meowed.

Crowpelt was astonished, not moving. "Stormstar," she breathed with wonder.

Stormstar smiled, his gray pelt filled with stars. There were joy and laughter in his eyes, something that Horsemoon knew was missing when she returned with the flowers. His pelt was sleek, and he was standing up taller. He was muscular, looking like a young warrior. He wasn't the weak and frail cat she saw on his last life.

Horsemoon cleared her throat. "Stormstar," she greeted, leaning down in a bow of respect.

Stormstar shook his head. "No, Horsemoon. Stand up." He protested. He looked her over. "You've grown into a fine medicine cat." He looked at his paws. "I'm sorry for what I did to you when I was leader."

Horsemoon sighed. "You're forgiven. Thank you for what you've done. I thought being a medicine cat would be terrible, but I'm glad I became one. It is my duty to protect my clan."

Stormstar nodded. "I knew you'd love it."

More cats streamed into the clearing. There were lines of starry cats of every rank and clan.

Horsemoon leaned towards Crowpelt. "It's your leader ceremony!" She whispered.

Crowpelt nodded but said nothing.

Stormstar raised his muzzle to the sky. "Today is an important day. The making of a new leader is always a wonder." He padded up to Crowpelt. "With this life, I give you courage." He touched his nose to Crowpelt's head. "Use it to stand up for what's right."