Chapter 44

Horsemoon's head throbbed as she awoke. She touched it gingerly, and she winced as felt fresh pain spread through her. She moaned silently.

"Arrgghh!!"

Horsemoon sat up quickly, but she instantly regretted it. The world swirled around her and her vision blurred.

"Don't hurt her!" Creamleaf's howl rang out in the silence.

"You invaded my territory!" A strange voice replied. It was a tom's voice, loud and deep.

"You didn't have to drop that- that Twoleg thing on her head!" Creamleaf retorted.

"It was a toolbox!" The tom shot back.

Horsemoon watched as the cats sized each other up. Their fur bristled, claws unsheathed. Horsemoon knew a fight would break out any second if she didn't do something.

So she got up carefully, and she staggered over to Creamleaf. Creamleaf turned and gasped. "You're awake! But go rest, because you hit your head pretty hard." She whirled around and faced the tom. "I'll deal with him."

"Then go ahead!" The tom spat.

Creamleaf launched herself at the tom, who was knocked over with surprise. The two cats tussled and screeched and clawed each other. Horsemoon watched with wild eyes. She scrambled over between them, and took some blows as she pushed them apart. The tom was surprisingly strong for his scrawny frame.

"Stop!" She mouthed to Creamleaf.

The tom tilted his head questionably. "Why isn't she talking?" He asked with wonder.

"She's mute," Creamleaf responded with a suspicious look at the tom.

The tom nodded and looked away.

"Now what are you guys fighting over?" Horsemoon asked silently.

Creamleaf looked at the scrawny tom. "He dropped something on you. What was it called- a what-box?"

The tom cleared his throat. "A toolbox." He corrected. "You frightened me, that's all."

Creamleaf rolled her eyes. "Oh, well, we're sorry we frightened you," She said sarcastically.

If the tom heard, he ignored her. "What's your names?"

Horsemoon studied him. He was as black as the night, with a white tail tip. The fur surrounding his eyes and muzzle was white also. And his yellow gaze was almost gold.

Creamleaf's gaze flickered. Worry, maybe? Or was that fear? Horsemoon couldn't tell. "I'm Creamleaf, and this is Horsemoon." She gestured to herself and Horsemoon.

The tom hesitated. "I'm Amos," he said after a heartbeat.

Horsemoon nodded. "Amos," She mouthed.

Creamleaf remained expressionless. "Amos, we need help." She began to explain their whole situation with the prophecy and he sickness. Horsemoon was surprised that the old she-cat opened up so quickly. Amos seemed to listen carefully, though.

Amos thought about it for a moment. "A cat who comes on wings?..." he closed his eyes. Then they opened and his yellow eyes beamed. "I know a cat! His name is Frill! I can take you to him if you want!"

Creamleaf looked at him like he suggested fighting a dog by himself. "What's he got to do with the prophecy?" She demanded.

The black tom's cheerfulness remained. "He's new to the Twolegplace. He came from far away, and he came on something that flies in the air and had wings! I forgot what it was called, but when we find him, we can ask him about it, and see if he's the cat you're looking for!"

Horsemoon looked at Creamleaf and nodded. She trusted Amos. What other choice did they have?

Creamleaf sighed. "Alright. Take us to Frill." She meowed, defeated.

Amos smiled, his white teeth gleaming. "When do you want me to take you? Now?"

Creamleaf laughed. "No. Horsemoon's head is still messed up. She can't travel for a while, even though we're missing precious time saving our clanmates."

Horsemoon sat down and tried to get comfortable. She thought about the cat named Frill. And she wondered if he was the cat they were looking for. And she wondered about her clanmates at camp, and who was really sick, or something very terrible.

Was any cat dead yet?