05

Carter steps out of her uncle's old beat up car, yawning

Carter steps out of her uncle's old beat up car, yawning. Her day was starting out rough. She had woken up 5 minutes until they were supposed to leave the house and spent two of those minutes contemplating getting out of bed. The last three were a blur to her. She wasn't that happy, but then again when was she ever happy at 7:30 in the morning?

Carter follows after her uncle listening to him talk to her fellow glee club members with an annoyingly enthusiastic voice. All of his conversations ended in him being ditched by the students, but he still kept his bright smile. Carter didn't know how. One thing she knew for sure was that it obviously didn't run in the family.

The curly-haired girl decided it was time to part ways with her uncle until she gets to her period Spanish class with him. Carter lazily waves at him goodbye and begins to head past the olive green dumpsters. Puck, Kurt, and five male students in letterman jackets are standing in front of the dumpster. Puck places his arm around Kurt when he sees Carter walking nearby.

Kurt watches Carter in apprehension, hoping she would put an end to what Noah was about to do. Puck lets him go when she walks by leaving Kurt to glower in his direction.

"Come on." Puck says, grabbing Kurt by his shoulders.

Carter pauses when she hears Kurt yelp. She turns back around and heads in the jock's direction.

"Wait." Kurt orders, throwing his bag at a jock. Carter takes this as a time to step in.

"Hey!" She calls out, stepping closer to the group of idiots and Kurt. "What the hell do you think you're doing, Noah?"

Puck stumbles, turning her way quickly. He smiles, charmingly. "Hey, Carter. My buddy here just dropped something inside the dumpster. He wanted some help so I--"

"Alright, listen up, asshole." Carter grabs Kurt and his leather bag, pushing him behind her. Puck brings his full attention her way. "What do you even get out of this?" She crosses her arms. She smiles teasingly as a thought comes to mind. "Does it turn you on?"

"What?" Noah questions, squinting in her direction. He was starting to get embarrased.

"You heard me. Does it turn you on when you bully people, throw them in dumpsters, fling a slushie in their face?" Carter continues. "Because it seems like it does. Otherwise, you wouldn't be doing it, would you?"

His fellow team members hide their laughter by turning away.

Puck didn't care for any of the insults she threw his way because it technically meant that she was talking to him. She never did that.

Carter raises her eyebrows at she watched his friends stifle their smiles. "And you five? Pathetic. I would've expected more from you than Noah. C'mon, Kurt. We'll miss first period if we keep wasting our energy on these guys."

Kurt smiles, watching Carter in admiration. Nobody had ever stuck up for him in his two years at McKinley. He wasn't suprised that it had been Carter.

"Thank you." He says. Carter nods. "No one's ever done that for me."

"I'm glad to be the first." She smiles.

The Glee Club were singing and dancing to Le Freak all while Will critiques the way they perform. He frowns at their lack of precision and passion.

"Energy, guys! It's disco. Good with the hands. John Travolta hands. All right. We're freaking out. Let's go. And up and out and down. Good. Good. Good. Good, guys."

Carter groans when Finn accidentally steps on her feet again. He was just so bad at dancing it was physically hurting Carter.

Rachel kicks out her leg while dancing, coming uncomfortably close to Mercedes' face. Mercedes decided that she was not going through that again. "Whoa, whoa! Hell to the nah! First of all, you try to bust my face again, and I will cut you!" She turns to Will. "And, also, this song is terrible."

Will defends himself and the song. "No, no, no. It's not the song. You guys just need to get into it."

Kurt speaks up in an annoyed tone. "No, it's the song. It's really gay."

"We need modern music, Mr. Schue." Artie pleads. It was true. They weren't doing well with all of the old music he was throwing their way.

"I'm sorry, guys. We don't have time to discuss this. We're doing this song this Friday at the pep assembly."

Tina speaks up in an incredulous tone. "In front of the whole school?"

Will, mistaking her outburst for excitement, responds with a burst of happiness. "Exactly."

Kurts speaks up, horrified. "They're gonna throw food at us. And I just had a facial."

"I'll get another one with you." Carter grins.

"I'll press charges if that happens." Rachel rebuttals quickly.

Will sighs. "Guys. I can't express to you how important this assembly is."

"Assembly?" Carter frowns. He hadn't explained that part to them.

Finn, looking terrified, pays close attention. Rachel and Carter look at him with concern. The rest of the club are visibly upset.

"We need recruits. There are seven of you. We need twelve to qualify for regionals. We have no choice or the club is over. I know you guys don't like this song, but we took nationals back in '93 with Freak Out. It's a crowd-pleaser. Trust me. From the top."

"Yeah, a crowd-pleaser in the '90s." Carter scoffs, stepping back in line with the club.

This was absolutely ridiculous.

[ may 30, 2019 ]