Chapter 4

Their passion was off the charts and unexpected, attributable to no apparent particular factor. It wasn't as if they hadn't had sex recently, nor was their fantasy particularly novel but rather a variation on ones they'd played before. But for some reason, they absolutely could not get enough of each other. Gabby gasped "What's gotten into us, Micky? Where's all this heat and energy coming from?"

Micky continued to grasp Gabby and kiss her and lick her neck and chest. He didn't pause what he was doing, but rather murmured "I don't know, but maybe it's this place where we are, this shack?"

Gabby shook her head and took a bite of Micky's neck and sucked it hard. "No, no, that's not it. I think it's you and me. We just had a discussion about the future, we made a decision together, we're moving forward with our lives and leaving the pain and dysfunction behind, and I feel so free, Micky, so free. I feel like I've reclaimed you, like you're back and you're mine and I have all of you again. The pills don't have you, and the booze doesn't have you, and the broads don't have you. You're mine and you're here for me and I'm your most important priority. And I'm so grateful and it's turned me on like crazy. What do you think about that?"

Micky paused for a moment to look Gabby bang in the eyes. He was stunned as he processed her words. "I get it. It makes sense. All that distance I put between us, it wasn't just physical, it was emotional and spiritual. Our souls and our hearts are healing and we're coming back together. There's nothing to keep us apart anymore, Gabby. We can trust the process we're building. Is that what you mean?"

Gabby nodded. "Yes. That's it. You're making me believe in you and us again. I've missed that and it's been so long, and I'm so happy and I feel like I can completely give myself over to it. Not just my love for you, not just my passion, but my everything. We've always said 'you're my everything' to express our love, but when you went away, so did that feeling. And when you came back, it took so long for us to be able to say that again. And now, I think for the first time, even since we formally re-committed to our marriage, I really, really feel it. You're my everything and I'm willing to be yours. I can finally, finally breathe again."

Micky had stilled their lovemaking completely as he listened to Gabby share these thoughts and feelings. Now he embraced her fiercely and clutched her like a life raft. "Oh, Gabby, you can't even realize how much that means to me, how much confidence that gives me, how much it's going to sustain me when I go on this movie shoot. To know you've completely let me back in to your heart and you trust me so entirely. It's a shame I can only write this once on my gratitude list tonight."

Gabby smiled and said "Yeah, it's going on my list, too. Thank God we made it, Micky. I almost feel like what it took to get to that final place of trust was for you to challenge me, to ask me to trust you to go do this movie. I think if you hadn't asked me to let you spread your wings, I might never have completely allowed myself to truly trust in the process. Now I'm going to have to Let Go and Let God, like the AA slogan says. It reminds me of that song you guys had on your first album, Take a Giant Step. You're making me step outside my mind."

"You know, Mike didn't want that song on the album, but I fought like hell for it because it reminded me so much of you."

Gabby tilted her head, curious but not comprehending. "Really? How so?"

Micky ran his hands down Gabby's back and sent a chill through her body. "It may make you sad to think of it now, but it was the lyrics that spoke to me. They sounded like your relationship and breakup with Nick. The song is really about a girl who's been through a traumatic breakup and is struggling to trust life and love again. Then she meets someone else who's trying to convince her to move forward with her life by reminding her how healthy and pink she used to be when she was a child and used to be able to trust the world. I think that's what you experienced when we got together, and I think you experienced it again when I got sober and we repaired our marriage."