Chapter Three

The pair were headed north, where a safe area, of sorts, had been set up. That was all Aaliyah had said to her about it. She was always alert, using her senses to steer clear of zombies. The woman was a scientist, and a strong swing would only do so much against the undead.

There was another type of zombie, discovered more recently. They had been given the name Stalkers. They were ranked between Runners and Brutes and like the others, had their own abilities.

As Esther would soon find out, Stalkers could move silently, able to creep up on humans and zombies alike. And as Esther soon found out, leaving a human alone for more than two minutes was a bad idea.

Aaliyah was smart enough to scream, as her wrists were pinned down. A Stalker snarled, inches away from her face. The woman kicked out against its stomach, gaining a breath of relief. Before the zombie could resume its attack, it was thrown aside.

Esther growled a warning as the zombie rose. She was crouched low to the ground, on high alert as she stood in front of the human woman. The Stalker chuckled, startling Esther.

He stood up, taking on a more human-like posture. Esther followed, still perplexed. A warm hand slipped into hers, accompanying the strong scent. She looked down at Aaliyah, frightened, but her mind remained clear even with the contact.

"You're sane, then?" The Stalker asked.

Aaliyah stepped forward as Esther glanced quickly at her. "She is, and you?"

"Proudly."

Esther watched his eyes, a light brown close to orange with only a trace of the red that should be there. "His eyes," She murmured. Aaliyah nodded, she had noticed too.

"If you're having trouble with the cravings, try animal blood."

Esther growled lightly, to which Aaliyah squeezed her hand.

"Cravings?" The zombie repeated quietly.

"Cravings, bloodlust, instincts, whatever you want to call it. Animal blood eases them. If you two want to travel together without any problems you're going to need it."

"Thank you," Aaliyah said simply.

He couldn't have been out of his teenage years when he was infected. Esther was still wary, keeping herself in front of Aaliyah as he passed. She only relaxed when his scent faded and she couldn't see his retreating form. Aaliyah stepped out from behind her, a curious smile on her lips. "Did he bite you?"

"No, thank you." Esther smiled slightly, before pulling away from her hand. The cold air was quick to remove the lingering warmth. She put a few steps distance between her and Aaliyah, breathing solely through her mouth. "We'll find some game then, see if he's telling the truth," Aaliyah muttered tiredly.

Esther noticed her repeatedly tightening her grip on the straps of her pack. She needed to rest. "Gas station," Esther mumbled, pointing up ahead. "Go there."

Aaliyah made a small sound, in something like confusion. Esther looked at the ground, bemused. "Shouldn't I come with you?"

"Liars, Aaliyah."

"You don't know that-"

"Go." Esther cut in, body shaking. "I'll find you."

Aaliyah huffed, as Esther pulled the sunglasses off her face. Her eyes glowed red and her body was tense. "Alright, just be safe."

Esther could smell zombies in the air, none close enough to be a bother. She watched as the scientist left, the darkness wrapping around her like a blanket.

-

She let her heightened senses take over, listening for prey in the area. As she moved, the forest became denser. Esther peered around an oak tree, catching the scent of a deer. 

The lack of humanity had been a blessing for the animal kingdom and now she knew why they had grown in number instead of falling prey to zombies. 

She could hear the faint crunching of grass and leaves as it grazed. She made a wide circle around it, staying downwind. Once behind the animal, she began her slow approach. Once close enough, the Brute let loose and attacked. A firm strike stunned the animal, her hands snapping its neck.

With the animal dead in front of her, Esther gave pause. Her thoughts fell to the human girl that insisted on her company. A zombie girl with little self-control. Esther hoped that she would see her again.