Chapter Seven

"You've travelled on foot this whole time?" Laura asked as they walked along the road.

"We've only been together a few days, but yeah," Aaliyah answered, glancing at Esther. "What about your group?"

"Car broke down a while back." Laura chuckled coldly, "We weren't supposed to be out on the road this long either."

Esther kept Jake in her sight, growing more uncomfortable the longer they were together. Aaliyah sent her a look. "Do you mind if we stop for a bit?" She called out. "I, uh, need to pee."

Thomas nodded, shrugging the bag off his shoulder while Jake sat down on the side of the road. Aaliyah nodded to Esther who followed her into the treeline. Esther glanced back behind them once they were out of earshot. "The boy."

"He's infected?"

"Already turned." Esther clarified. "Like me."

The scientist huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. "Maybe there's another way to stay sane. They came from an army controlled area, right? Maybe they've found something."

Esther shook her head. "The dead... wiped out the army."

Aaliyah sighed, "It doesn't matter. He's definitely sane?" After a shrug, she continued. "They must know, it would be hard to hide sneaking out to hunt animals every other night."

Esther listened carefully, picking up the scuttling of an animal in the underbrush. "I'll be back." She muttered, handing the scientist the rifle.

"I don't know how to use this."

"Hit 'em with it," Esther remarked, a strange grin tugging at her lips.

Aaliyah snorted, holding the gun carefully. Esther snuck away towards where her senses were leading her. She didn't bother waiting, all too eager to stop the cravings she felt from simply holding Aaliyah's hand. The now identified rabbit's neck was quickly snapped and it fell limp.

Aaliyah turned her head away from where Esther had disappeared, listening to what sounded like footsteps. 

Esther wiped her hands on her jeans, standing up straight as a human would. A loud bang made her breath catch, the brute running towards the source. A mindless Runner grabbed at her winded scientist, the rifle on the ground.

The brute snarled and lunged for the zombie, throwing it to the ground. It was quickly back on its feet, swiping at Esther wildly. The brute grabbed Aaliyah's hunting knife, stabbing it into the Runner's eye. She pulled out the blade and let the corpse drop.

Esther waited a moment for her rage to fade, blinking away red. She looked over at Aaliyah, who was still catching her breath. The scientist breathed out a nervous laugh as the group of three gathered behind her.

She held still as Esther checked her over, pulling down her collar and rolling up her sleeves. No bite marks were present.

"I missed," Aaliyah told her.

"You two alright?" Thomas asked.

"We're fine."

"Good, cause it's time to go."