Epilogue - Part One

"Love?"

"Hm?"

"I'm going out to shoot a few shells, so don't worry if you hear gunfire."

Aaliyah opened her eyes slowly, turning around to face Esther, nodding her approval. Esther smiled, kissing her gently. Aaliyah sighed, putting her head back on the pillow. "Go away, or I'll have you here until dinner."

Esther grinned and left the bedroom, Aaliyah watching her leave happily. The former scientist pulled herself out of bed, getting dressed and heading to the kitchen. Esther had brought in her meal from last night, the rabbit was enough for lunch. Aaliyah lifted the carcass onto the bench, preparing it for their lunch.

The zombie headed out back, looking over the small ranch peacefully. She trekked over to where she had lined up a dozen bottles, aiming with the revolver in her hand. Aaliyah flinched instinctively when she heard the first shot, but gathered herself and brought the knife down once more on the dead creature.

Esther was pushing more bullets into the chamber when she heard the unmistakable rumble of a motor. She glanced back towards the house, then back down the driveway. A grey car cruised along the dirt road, towards the house. Esther flew back across the grass, leaping the fence like a hurdle and booking it up to the stairs to the porch. She held the revolver with both hands, glaring at the figure in the driver's seat.

The car came to a stop at the top of the hill and a man stepped out of the vehicle. Esther was breathing heavily, the man holding his hands out so she could see them. "I'm not armed."

"Turn around."

The man sighed and turned slowly, coming around to face her again. "You got a group?"

"Just me." Esther lied easily.

The man nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets. "Who's the brunette in the window then? Neighbour?"

Aaliyah walked into the doorway, watching him carefully. Esther glanced at her, stepping closer. "Leave us alone. Go back to wherever you came from."

"I need medical help." He told them, something dark in his eyes.

"You look fine."

The man grimaced, turning back to the car. He reached into the back seat, pulling a child into view. Aaliyah gasped, putting a hand on Esther's arm. The boy was very pale, a mop of blonde hair hiding his eyes. Aaliyah stepped past Esther, eyes softening. The zombie sighed and handed the gun to her. Esther walked up to the car, kneeling down to look at the boy. The kid stared straight back. The scent of blood hit her, and she saw red staining the man's shirt.

"Fine. We'll patch you both up."

Before she could even stand up, the boy stepped forward and tripped over his own feet. Esther sighed again, easily picking the boy up and carrying him back to the house. The man followed behind her, visibly favouring his left side. Esther carefully manoeuvred the boy through the doorway and to the spare bedroom. Aaliyah was checking him over as soon as she had laid him down.

Esther leaned against the wall to give her space and the man stood beside her. "She a doctor?"

"Biochem," Aaliyah replied. "So, I'm the best your son has."

"He's not mine."

Aaliyah paused, sharing a look with Esther. "Whose is he?"

"My sister's. She was only supposed to be out of town for a few days, but then the world went to hell."

Esther crossed her arms, "You could've led with that."

The man chuckled, before wincing. "I'll check out that wound in just a minute," Aaliyah muttered. "Esther come here."

Esther pushed off the wall, moving around the bed to stand beside Aaliyah. She hitched the young boy's shirt up an inch, letting her see a small bite mark under his ribs. Esther nodded simply and left the room. "We can give him some medicine to bring his fever down for now, but your wound seems more concerning. "

"Thank you."

Aaliyah worked on stitching and wrapping the deep cut along the stranger's side. "My name's Brent. My nephew is James."

"Nice to meet you, Brent, I'm Aaliyah." Esther reentered the room, sitting on the bed beside the child. "That's Esther."

Esther drew a small amount of liquid into a syringe, quietly tapping out the air bubbles. "I don't like needles." The boy whispered.

"It's okay," Esther mumbled, "Neither do I. But you look brave." Behind her, Aaliyah pulled intentionally harder on the sterile thread than she needed to. Brent hissed in pain and looked away from Esther and James.

"I'm brave."

"Good." She praised him and very gently pushed the needle into his elbow. A few seconds later she drew it back out, smiling. "How do you feel?"

"Dizzy."

"Go to sleep, you'll feel better after a nap," Esther told him. She tucked the vial and syringe into the neighbouring drawer, out of sight.

Aaliyah taped down the edges of the bandages, pulling the medical kit away. "All done." She told him. "Take it easy, will you?" Brent nodded in response. "Esther?"

"Hm?"

"I invited Brent to stay for dinner."

Esther shook her head with a slight smile. "Of course you did. I'll go find us something bigger to eat tonight then?"

"If you wouldn't mind." Aaliyah smiled sweetly.

Brent stepped forward, hand raised. "I could help if you're going hunting. It'll be too dark to be out alone soon."

"I'll manage," Esther refused. "Besides, I'll never hear the end of it if she has to do those stitches again."

Aaliyah glared at her playfully, hitting her in the stomach. Esther left the room, pulling the front door open and stepping into the cold.