Forcing fate - a snarky fairy tale

Heaven forbid the fair princess knew what she wanted. It was simply not done.

In the Kingdom of Just-A-Little-Farther-Away, Kings were almighty, dragons to be feared, and princesses to shut up and be pretty.

Princess Mira spent her life brushing her long golden hair, looking demure in the latest fashionable gown, and reading every book she could get her hands on in the broom cupboard below the stairs of the servant quarters.

Her father the King did not know she could read. He'd likely have her cursed by a witch if he ever found out.

She'd bribed the harpsichord tutor with some of her gold jewelry until he'd caved and taught her the basics. Last Mira heard, he'd fled the Kingdom right after, never to be seen again.

The servants considered it a royal—and therefore totally reasonable—quirk when they saw her gallivanting through the library with one of her hat boxes. She found it could hide up to four books, and nobody of sane mind would ever ask to see a lady's hat, lest she start yammering about the latest fashion.

The books transported her to lands unseen, taught her fighting techniques she'd never put to practice, and showed her the human body dissected—that image being the centerfold of an anatomy book she found most intriguing, especially when it came to the appendages she discovered.

Her childhood was a happy one, as long as she could escape the all-seeing gaze of her proper mother and steered clear of her father altogether.

One day, she was summoned to the throne room for an audition with the King.

Mira had hoped her parents would forget about her birthday, like they usually did. In the end, it took them three months to remember she was sixteen now, but remembered they had.

Her fate was sealed.

Because what good was a princess if not married to a handsome prince? Ideally heir to a Kingdom of greater import.

Luckily, Mira had a plan. During the last tournament, she'd observed every eligible prince to find the one least aggravating.

Her eyes had landed on Prince Maurin of the Long-Lost Kingdom.

For one, his Kingdom was far from Just-A-Little-Farther-Away, which suited Mira just fine.

Two, she was not above admitting his striking blue eyes and curling hazel hair, paired with a strong, tall body sent a flutter of heat through her every time she saw him.

Three, he was rumored to have slain a dragon, which meant he'd be equipped to deal with her mother.

Most importantly though, he'd thanked his servant.

It was outrageous really. One did not acknowledge servants unless absolutely necessary. However, the prince had looked up, smiled at the graying man, and uttered, 'Thank you, Edgar.'

Mira's heart had squeezed in her chest, before overflowing with simple joy. She'd found her Prince.

Kneeling before her father's throne, her mind whirred with the plans she'd crafted.

"My daughter, it's time for you to marry." Her father sounded bored with the matter. Her mother, seated to his right, looked stern as if she willed Mira to behave. "Your mother will study the suitable candidates and send invitations for a grand ball."

"Yes, Father," Mira said with her eyes fixed on the dark stone floor of the throne room. "I will bring the Ancestry book to your chambers at once, Mother."