My hair comes first | (reader/steve rogers)

||

||

The ringing alarm woke you out of your slumber causing you to jump out of bed and rush to your closet to put on your uniform. Your warm lights that usually lit up your room were replaced by red ones to make it even more obvious that this is an emergency.  You could hear the loud footsteps of your teammates rushing down the passageway; each one banging your door as they ran passed. It was no secret that you were known for being late to missions, but could they seriously blame you? 

As soon as you zipped up your suit, your went to your vanity station where all your hair products were. You looked at yourself in the mirror, startling yourself a little at the sight. There were sleep lines on your face, bags under your eyes and your hair...oh god your hair. It was a mess. It was evident that you just woke up. You made a mental note in your head to deal with your face on the quinjet. You grabbed a comb wondering where to even start on your hair. It's never been this...messy and tangled. You huffed in frustration knowing you could only blame yourself for not braiding your hair last night before heading to bed or at least wearing your silk wrap, but you were so exhausted from yesterday's mission that you basically collapsed onto your bed.

"Y/N,  Captain is requesting for your presence, and asked me to emphasize, immediately." FRIDAY's voice filled your room as you were about to start parting your hair. You rolled your eyes knowing that you were never going to hear the end of it from the Cap.

"Tell the Cap to relax and give me five minutes tops." You replied and immediately got started on parting your hair into four parts. Your fingers started going to work on braiding your long hair to at least look decent. Can't go saving lives looking like this.

"C'mon c'mon c'mon..." You kept muttering under your breath as if your fingers will move faster without making a knot. You winced a couple of times as you tried to separate your hair strands from each other, regretting not applying some detangler by the second.

"Y/N, Captain is requesting to enter." FRIDAY's voice interrupted me once again.

"No," You whispered. "Don't tell him I said no."

"I heard that!" Cap's voice boomed on the other side of the door. "Agent Y/L/N, if you don't open this door this instance, consequences will be implemented effective immediately."

You groaned. "Fine, FRIDAY open the door for him."

The sound of the sliding door opening made you shut your eyes in defeat trying to prepare for whatever the Captain had to say. You could already imagine the super soldier standing behind you in his red, white and blue attire. You knew that you would have his shield thrown at you if it wasn't for the bet he had with Natasha to see how long he would go without having an outburst because of you always being late.

"You are aware that the alarm and red lights mean something, right?" You opened your eyes at the sound of his voice. You finished off your last braid and turned around to face him. "I'm aware, yes."

"So what seems to be the problem this time?" He crossed his arms across his chest, the change in stance making him seem taller. Although the upper half of his face is covered, you could tell that he was done with you.

"I had to do..." You dragged trying to find a reasonable white lie to tell him to justify your actions, but decided against it when you realized there was no point. Besides there's nothing Steve Rogers hates more than dishonesty. You signed, "my hair."

"Your hair?" You could tell that he expected something better from you by the melodramatic momentary blink he just did.

"Yes, my hair." You reciprocated his actions and folded your arms into each other, standing your ground.

"There are more pressing matters and you're worried about your hair?" He was in complete disbelief. He even hung his arms. You couldn't help but hold a smug smile at his reaction. You'd be lying if you didn't find annoying him entertaining, whether its intentional or not.

"My hair comes first, can't kick ass looking like Chewbacca " you patted his shoulder as you walked passed him grabbing your belt that held all your necessary weapons. "Don't just stand there Cap, we've got a mission to go to remember?"

He turned around and shot me a glare as I fixed my belt around my waist. "This is not over Y/N." 

That's when you knew you won, he rarely calls you by your first name.

Before you could reply with a usual snarky comment as you both walked out your room, you remembered to do one more thing. "My edges!"

You attempted to run back, but Cap grabbed your arm quickly and shook his head. "Nope."

"But--"

"No, that's an order Y/L/N." He spoke sternly and you folded your arms into each other like a five year old who didn't get their way. You reluctantly kept up with his pace since he had a firm grip around your arm.

"Hater." You muttered under your breath.

||

A/N: It's short, but this was actually a dream of mine and I had an urge to write it out. I couldn't exactly bring myself to think up of a whole story just to incorporate that random scene, so boom I made a one shot/imagines book because I'm lazy and way too random to actually write a fully fleshed out story :)

Hope you enjoyed this, as much as I enjoyed writing it!