Hold My Hand | (reader/Bucky Barnes)

||

||

"Hold my hand...please?"

His usual cold blue eyes softened when they met yours. A sad smile appearing on his distressed face, one that broke your heart. You could feel your heart stop for a beat, your stomach twisting and a nostalgic feeling pinpricking your skin. For some reason, your breath was caught in your throat as you struggled to find the words to say, the right reaction to make. You've never seen him like this...so vulnerable. You could tell he was trying to stay positive, albeit the non-committal smile was failing to stay up. You couldn't understand why he even wanted to see you, especially after what you did. The sight of him and the rest of the team injured in the medical room was triggering the tears you've been trying to hold back. The guilt was just weighing heavily on your shoulders.

He noticed your hesitation and the way your breath hitched at the sight of his metal hand being held up. The confusion on your face was evident, but he didn't say a word. You two haven't exactly been the closest of friends, only because he's so reserved and clings onto Steve most of the time. You couldn't blame him for doing so, you couldn't imagine being ripped apart from your best friend for 70 years. So you kept your distance and kept your relationship professional, despite the constant looks and stares you'd get from him or vice versa. But today, out of all days, he wants to speak to you and definitely not about work. Nearly losing his only companion for the second time took a toll on him, what made you confused was why he wanted to see you knowing very well that you were the reason...for all of this.

"W-why?" You stammered, scared to place your hand in his. Not because of him, but you feared what your powers could do to him. You didn't want to do anymore damage after that mission. The brunette looked out the window and took a deep breath before shaking his head. You could see the inner battle he was facing from his facial expressions and his ability to look me in the eye for more than two seconds. It hurt you, but you honestly couldn't blame him.

"Just...hold my hand please" he repeated himself, only this time, he didn't look at you. You could hear the heartbreak in voice as it crackled. It only triggered your tears to start falling down your cheek.

Slowly, but surely, your trembling fingers made their way towards his metal hand. You couldn't hold back the thoughts of how this darkness surging in you could come out whenever it pleased and hurt people. The more the thoughts crowded your mind, the more afraid you were to touch him. Your bottom lip starting to imitate your fingers. When your fingers delicately touched his, the coldness of the metal alerted your nervous system. He turned to look at you, watching how scared you were and the voice in his head that he heard earlier swooped back in. Empathizing you.

"Don't be afraid," he looked into your eyes, his voice barely above a whisper. His eyes just told you that this was just as hard for him as it was for you. "It's okay." He reassured you.