Chapter Eight

As Ava promised, the next day of riding was a bit easier, but I did fail miserably in mounting my horse. I didn't throw myself off this time, but mounted up with the wrong foot, sitting me backwards in the saddle. Ava had to walk away for a solid five minutes because she was so overcome with laughter. I tried to scowl at her, but even through my embarrassment, I had to admit it was pretty funny. As we trekked along, Ava and I chatted constantly, until I started to feel more comfortable around her. She truly seemed to be turning into my only friend in this strange new world, and I enjoyed the way the sunlight turned her red hair rosy.

It was becoming quite apparent that we were leaving the desert. Along with the air become cooler and cooler with every step we took, I also started to see spots of sparse vegetation. Here and there, little brown-green plants poked through. The sand itself was becoming harder, turning into packed dirt. Since the start of the day, I saw a hazy black line on the horizon to the left of us that Ava told me were mountains. She said they were called the Prym Peaks, and they were the very edge of the mounting range, but we would be bypassing them. With the mountains to our left, we carried on through the desert.

And then it all ended.

I had my gaze down at Ava, listening avidly to a story she was telling me, and when I glanced up, I gasped. Before me was a wide stretch of endless grass. The land was flat, unlike the dunes of the Southern Sands, but like the desert, there seemed to be only one color for as far as the eye could see. Green. Everything was so green. Beneath my horse's feet were slim blades of grass that were swaying in the wind. I jumped down from my saddle, losing my balance and stumbling to my hands and knees, but I didn't care. I ripped off my gloves and laughed. The grass and dirt beneath my palms was so soft. I could feel the water deep in the ground that keep the plants alive. It was the most amazing thing I had ever experienced.

Many that passed me gave me haughty looks. I was a newly appointed lady, and here I was, digging in the dirt like a child. Ava was looking at me fondly, and calmly directed any harsh words the lords had to say away. When most of the company was ahead of us, Ava approached. "It's called the Great Plains," she said. "They are a great expanse of flat land, covered in grass and very few trees. It'll be another day until we reach the city."

"I hated living in the desert," I said softly, still gazing across the grass in awe. "I hated it, but I couldn't deny the beauty of seeing nothing but sand no matter where you looked. I didn't think anything else could compare, but seeing this, I know I was wrong."

Ava took my hand and led me back to my horse. I couldn't seem to get enough of the view. "Is the rest of the country like this?"

"Like the Great Plains? Not really. There are mountains and lakes and the sea. There's a river that runs straight through the city, and of course, there's the City of Trees, which is the largest forest in the country. That's where I was born."

"The City of Trees. I would like to see it one day."

"It's wonderful," Ava said with a happy sigh. Her gaze was far away as she recalled her home.

I wished she would tell me more, but just then, a figure ahead of us broke from the main ground and was riding towards us. Wondering if it was a guard dispatched to reprimand us for lagging behind, I straightened in my saddle. I didn't yet know anything about being a court lady, but sitting straighter seemed to be the right thing to do. I hoped it made me look as proud and intimidating as the other lords.

Our guest turned out to be Prince Draxton. He smirked slightly, seeing my poise like he knew what I was trying to accomplish and it wasn't working. I fought the urge to scowl at him, especially as he reigned in his horse next to mine. "I see you liked the Great Plains. Does it compare to your home?"