Chapter 5

Dara shown above.

_________________

I groaned in annoyance for the thousandth time. This little kid has been arguing with me for the past twenty minutes about wanting a real gun. I had given him a toy gun just like everyone else that was ten, eleven, or twelve. It's required to give them fake guns until they learn to properly use it.

"No! You are supposed to practice with this one before you handle a real one! Now stop arguing with me!"

The little boy went to argue again when another voice popped into our sentence.

"Damien, that's enough."

I looked up to see Nikolai standing there, his eyes cold and staring at Damien.

"Yes, sir," the little brat said, running off. I glared at his retreating back before turning to Nikolai.

"Are you following me now?"

He simply laughed and crossed his arms. "That is none of your business whether it be the truth or a lie."

I rolled my eyes and turned to face a small blonde girl who was tapping my elbow. "Is everything alright?"

The little girl frowned up at me. "I, um... I just got here. I don't know what to do... Papa never came home last night and Mama was worried, so I stayed with her for a little bit. I'm sorry.."

I frowned at the little girls tear filled eyes and knelt down. "What's your name?"

"Bethany Beriya," she whispered.

"How old are you?"

"Eleven."

I nodded and grabbed a toy gun. "Okay, Bethany. You are just practicing how to hold and aim a gun properly. See, watch this."

I held the gun with one hand around the handle and the other underneath the handle. I kept my finger off of the trigger.

"You never want to put your finger on the trigger until you are going to pull it. Always remember that," I said as I handed her the wooden gun, helping her to hold and aim it.

She smiled up at me. "Thank you, miss."

I smiled back at her. "Your welcome. And please, call me Rose."

She nodded and left to join the others her age. I turned to see Nikolai smiling.

"What?"

He chuckled. "Nothing. You're just really good with kids," he admitted and I blushed.

He grabbed my waist and pulled me to his chest, leaning down to whisper in my ear. "You're also really cute when you blush."

I shivered as his breath hit my ear and his lips brushed my cheek before he pulled away. I stumbled back, glaring at him as his lips pulled into a smirk.

Just then, he got a call and I noticed his face turn from relaxed to stone hard in seconds.

"I want twenty people down there, now! More will arrive shortly," he snapped before hanging up and turning to me.

"What's wrong?"

"The Italians are striking at a patrol of fifteen men," he said and I frowned as he turned to leave.

"I'm coming with you," I said.

Nikolai shook his head. "It's too dangerous."

"Bullshit! I'm a high ranking officer now, anyway. It's part of my job to go and help," I argued and Nikolai grumbled.