The Scrambled Preamble

Apparently everyone can create some matter of things.

"You're so creative!" was the phrase frequently used to compliment those who created things. People were celebrated and honored for their "creativity" every day. Creativity was how a lot of people expressed themselves. The Doctor guessed he fit into that category.

Things could be created in any number of ways. Inspiration could cause him to fly to his workshop and start drawing up blueprints right away. He could start putting something together purely out of necessity. He could just start building and before he knew it... he had something.

The product may make him beam with pride or laugh a whole string of "ha"s, or the product may make him despair or fly into a rage. Either way, the thrill of not knowing and the idea of having a satisfactory portfolio to look back on in the future kept him wanting to go on, continue to create, pull the next lever, crank the next wrench, screw the next bolt!

The idea that creativity was something completely unpredictable and beyond the scope of science was just plain ridiculous. Whether the Doctor subscribed to this idea or not was unknown, truthfully. I, the author, however, have experienced creativity first-hand nearly every day of my life, and trust me... After two decades of life (at the start of this story), it can definitely be predicted, and inspiration (also the lack of inspiration) can be felt and recognized almost immediately. If it can be predicted and recorded, it can be studied.

Being one of the things that Doctor Eggman and I have in common, creativity (or maybe inventiveness, artistry, or ingenuity are better terms) was naturally something I wanted to explore in this book. After all, our similar interests, er, abilities maybe, backed up by my pretending to understand some of the more whimsical things he talked about, were the only things which allowed me to write this story in the first place. With whom else would I be able to even talk about creativity, much less explore some of the more baseless and nonsensical ideas I have about what it is? Yeah, Tails was creative, but he was also a child. But I shouldn't digress so much from the only character that truly matters in this story, the main character.

Many of the great minds that came before Doctor Eggman believed that two things identified the greatest creators: their technical skills and their ability to shut out everything while working. That was why, when the small door nearby was opened by a particular orbicular robot and let light flow into the windowless room, the Doctor jumped a foot into the air out of shock.

"S-Sorry to disturb you, sir, but don't you need to be at the school at seven in the AM this morning?"

After recovering from his shock, the mustachioed man turned slowly towards the silhouette of Orbot and barked, "Of course, I do, bolt-brain! I'm just wrapping things up!"

When the robot closed the door behind him and shrouded the room in darkness once again, Eggman stood up from his monitors which were attached to the brains of his latest creation in-the-works and walked to inspect the bronze-colored metal body of the machine one last time. Perhaps he should implement a line of neon lights at the bottom of the glass panel that would later become a screen so that the projected image would be colored. He needed to remember to drop by Eggmart on his way home that afternoon to pick out some lights. Small aesthetic elements like lights weren't something he kept stocked in his workshop at this time. There just wasn't a particularly high need for that right now.

However, was it really necessary for a machine with that purpose to look aesthetically pleasing? The rather loud ticking sound coming from the clock above the door jarred him from his thoughts. With an audible sigh, the doctor was forced back to reality. Fine. I'll think this through more on the way there.
---

And that's the introduction to what will (hopefully) go on to be a rather long and insightful fanfiction! Please let me know what you think so far in the comments. Of course, I say that even knowing that I haven't gotten a single remotely insightful bit of feedback in seven years of this series of stories having been lying listless in Wattpad's cloud storage. I got my first comment in a gazillion years May of last year (2020) on the prologue of IWGSR and it was, well...

 I got my first comment in a gazillion years May of last year (2020) on the prologue of IWGSR and it was, well

An interesting one. Hm... What if Scrambled and IWGSR had a crossover chapter where Scourge and Eggman team up or something? That would be pretty cool.

Anyway, if you vote by clicking the star, I will at least know someone exists somewhere out there. And I will most likely be uploading this to Archive of Our Own and Fanfiction.net if anybody prefers reading on those websites over Wattpad. Chapter 1 coming soon!