CHAPTER 14

A blurred vision was all Sabre could see. He sat up, his head dizzy, and of course, everything seemed quiet. The next thing he realised, The battle had ended. The first thing that came to his senses was to rush to his imprisoned friend and mega clone. Despite his wounds and bleeding, he crawled up the spherical building where both were held in captivity. To his surprise, the bedrock turned into cobblestone. He immediately remembered he had thrown his pick axe away before the collision. Therefore he had no choice but to break the mineral with his own bare hands. Saber was the first to wake from the vibration.

'Sabre...? Sabre! I'm right here!' His shout was clear.

'Don't worry, I'm coming to get you out!'

    Saber took out a stone pickaxe from his inventory which he had crafted a while earlier after he made his iron sword. Together, they made a small hole in the wall just enough for a person to get through. Sabre heard a ruffle inside the chamber when his apprentice called, 'I'm carrying Lucas out! He's severely hurt!'

     'Be careful.'

     'I'll be fine!'

     Sabre heard a thump as Saber descended through the gap, carrying the Player on his back. Sabre rushed over to help Lucas. 'Thank God you're both alive!'

     But Saber tilted his head in puzzlement. 'Who's God?'

     'A Steve—' Sabre replied impulsively.

     '... Okay...' but soon something else caught the clone's attention. 'Wait... is that who I think it is?'

     Sabre followed the direction of where Saber pointed in the distance. Without a second thought, he hastened his footsteps towards a tree stump, where the worn out yellow pelt stood. Immediately, he grasped his neck and pulled him towards himself.

     'How are you still alive?' The Player was blazing with anger. Hearing no reply, he tightened his grip and shook the clone.

     'Speak!'

     'I don't know how to say. Sabre. Should I say Steves can't be destroyed by Mortals, or should I say you're too weak?'

     The words had struck Sabre like a bolt of lightning. 'You know your life is in my hands, right? You know I can end you right this instant, however I like, right?'

     The defeated one only smiled neutrally, lips cracked.

     Exasperated, Sabre threatened to give the Steve a punch but a nearby voice stopped him.

     'It was my order for him to stay alive, Sabre. Let him go.'

     'Thena?'

     But the clone stared at him, then at the grip, as if she was repeating what she said with her eyes. Frustrated, Sabre let go, shooting daggers from his glare at the defeated yet ignorant Steve before leaving both of them alone, he didn't even bother to care why, all he could think of, was to have a nice rest. But the next thing he knew, that would happen years away. As he was wandering around, checking for missing teammates and allocate the destruction from the night before, a cry from a distance alerted him. Impulsively, he half-staggered away from Nightmare Clone's laugh to the place where the sound came from, yet what Sabre saw when he followed Crystal Steve's gaze shocked him instantly.

There, lying on the ground, was the colourful pelt he had long waited for to finally rescue. Though there weren't any scratches and battle marks except a few strands of ruffled rainbow hair, his gaze turned to the Steve apprentice as Crystal Steve gave out a short yet impactful confirmation.