Jared-The Schmuel Story (3)

Jared's POV

Evan and I sat on the couch. He was laying on top of my chest, and my arms were wrapped around him. The Christmas tree in the corner was lit, and lots of ornaments decorated it. Now, I've never been one for Christmas, but Evan likes it, so I do too.

"Do we have any Christmas stories?" He asked me. I rubbed his hair, feeling the softness.

"Well...I think there's some on the bookshelf." I made a move to lift him off of me, but he didn't want to get up. "I've got to get it."

"Make one up," He mumbled into my chest. I laughed, kissing his head.

"Well, actually...I'm working on one now. Wanna year it?" I asked.

"I'd love to."

"So there's this guy named Schmuel, right?" I asked.

"Right."

"Well, he'd work till half-past ten at his tailor shop in Klimovich. He'd wake up at around dawn and start again with the hems and pins and twist. Forty-one years had come and gone at his tailor shop in Klimovich. He watched the winters' soldier on, there was one thing Schmuel missed."

"What?"

"Do you really like this story?"

"You're kidding me. It's no wonder you're a bestselling author," Evan giggled. "Continue telling."

"Here we go. 'Well, 'If I only had time,' old Schmuel said. 'I would build the dress that's in my head. A dress to fire. The mad desire of girls from here to Minsk, but I have no more hours left to sew.' Yeah. I might do some rhyming."

"The rhymes make you seem cuter." Evan buried his head in my chest.

"How does that work?" I asked.

"I don't know. Maybe it's just that you're telling it." I felt him smile. I kissed the top of his head. "Tell more!"

"So there was this old clock. And the clock said, 'So Schmuel, go sew and be happy!' But Schmuel said 'No, no, it's not my story. I gotta make do witht he time I've got.' Schmuel was done at half-past ten, and he said 'Good night, old Klimovich!' He then on his coat to go, but then the clock cried, "Wait! Not yet! Even though you're not wise or rich, you're the finest man in Klimovich. Listen up, Schmuel. Make one stitch and you'll see what you get.' But Schmuel said, 'Clock, it's much too late. I'm at peace with life
I accept my fate...' But the clock said, 'Schmuel! One stitch and you will unlock the dreams you've lost!' So Schmuel, with reluctance, took his thread. He pulled a bolt of velvet and said, 'I should take out my teeth and go to bed.' Are you still listening?"

"Yes! Schmuel wants to go to bed."

"You're not falling asleep?" I asked.

"Keep going! It's good!"

"Okay. So he said, 'I'm sitting here with talking clocks instead!' And the clock said, 'Oh Schmuel, you'll get to be happy! I'll give you unlimited time Just do it and you can be happy!' That's kinda all I have right now," I finished. Dreams that you could feel were becoming true.

"I love it." Evan reached up, and kissed my nose.

I smiled. "He'd've looked a lot like you."

"Schmuel?"

"Maybe it's just that you're afraid to go out on to a limb-ovich. Maybe your heart's completely swayed. But your head can't follow through. You seem nervous. Are you okay?"

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"You know...do all that? It seems crazy. The way you talk about me," Evan smiled. His smile could drive me nuts for days. He sat up, and leaned into me: I put my arm around him, kissing his cheek.

"Well I want the world to know the man I love inspired me," I replied.

"Really?" He giggled.

"Don't you think that now's a good time to be the ambitious person you are? Say goodbye to wiping ashtrays at the bar. Say hello to Evan Hansen, big-time star!" I made jazz hands. "Cause I say, 'Evan, you get to be happy! How about I give you unlimited time?"

"That was in your story!" Evan's eyes lit up.

"Yep! Where you're right for something on every page. Take a breath. Take a step. Take a chance. Take your time."

"I try," Evan said, raising his eyebrows. A comfortable silence filled the air. The watch I gave him was on his wrist. I smiled, remembering his reaction when I gave it to him.

Have I mentioned today how lucky I am to be in love with him?

There's some fluff. I hope you enjoyed!!!

Stay snazzy!