03. real life

CAUSE I'M SO INTO YOU
INTO YOU
INTO YOU
-- ariana grande, "into you"
|
|
|

the dave and buster's was nearly empty. the place was silent, save for a few parents taking their whining children to the many games they demanded. games glowed with flashing led lights, making it impossible for roman to focus on just one. to say she was surprised (and slightly disappointed) to be here was an understatement. she spent hours taking out her braids and getting them re-done, only to look pretty at a dave and fucking buster's.

following her date, roman stood behind pete as he payed. her childish excitement overtook her initial disappointment. flashbacks of childhood spent at places like this warmed her heart. she hadn't been here in years and she couldn't wait to drain her money at rigged games. she fidgeted slightly.

"you look like a child on a sugar high." intending to glare at pete, roman was almost immediately distracted by how adorable his smirk was. like, god, that was an near-impossible mixture of sexy and dorky. his lips were plump, a rare trait in the white boys she usually saw. damn, how good would his lips feel if--

"hello? earth to roman. it's rude to stare, y'know."

"shut up, you like the attention." pete chuckled, and grabbed her hands, noticing how ridiculously soft they were. he squeezed them gently, imaging her hands wrapped around him, hugging him, holding him, squeezing him--

he started leading her to the laser tag arena before his thoughts could made themselves physically known. roman giggled behind him, submitting her body to his guidance. a thought lurked in the back of her head, and she pushed it away before she could become consumed by it; she was determined to enjoy tonight, acting like there wasn't a care in the world.

finally reaching the arena, they were briefed on the rules and regulations by an unenthusiastic teenager. slipping on the suprisingly light vests, they waitied for the countdown to end in order to begin the game. pete glanced at his date, earning a smile from her. he winked.

"you're going down princess." roman rolled her eyes playfully, sticking her tongue out at him. pete returned it, making her heart flutter inside her chest (much to her annoyance of how fast she was falling for him).

"bet?"

"bet, princess."

and with that, the game started.

----------

click clack went the sound of jaime typing on her phone. the young woman searched for article after article of pete davidson, determined to find out who this man was. after receiving the message from dee of roman's newfound "boyfriend", she was infuriated to say the least. how could a woman so full of potential waste her time on some emo white guy who looked like he was a drug dealer in his spare time?

turning off her phone, she commanded her alexa to turn on her "netflix and chill playlist", collasping onto her bed. she nodded her head, humming quietly to the ariana grande song that followed. jaime let the melodies overtake her, sending her to cloud nine: where she wasn't friendzoned by her crush, where girls knew how to support themselves without some man to fuck around with, where cheap mainstream didn't get everything for once.

the album. jaime needed to work on her second album. its been awhile since her first and her fanbase was slipping. sighing, she broke out her journal from the nearby drawer. and with swift movements from her pen, she continued her opening song.

---------

pressed against the wall, roman couldn't focus on anything except for pete's lips connected to hers. it felt magical and sweet and sensual and everything she wanted in this moment. he lifted her thigh and jesus she couldn't keep her thoughts straight. one question, however, stuck in her head:

how the hell did she get here?

she faintly remembered whooping pete's ass in laser tag. she chased him around the arena. she recalled pinning him to the ground for the final point, and locking eyes. and the hormones they kept under wraps for the entire evening flooded their systems, causing them to act like dogs in heat. she remembered pete saying something along the lines of "damn princess" and taking off her vest. and that let to this, making out against a wall in dave and buster's.

they finally stopped borderline sucking each other's faces off and quickly returned their equipment, racing to the car. locking eyes yet again, pete gave her a mischievous smirk.

"i didn't know you were that kind of person, princess."

roman's face became hot and she shoved him lightly. "hurry up and drive, idiot. what you just saw is a fraction of what i can do." pete's face became a light shade of pink as he licked his lips. and with that, they pulled out of dave and buster's, driving back to the apartment.

-----

pete's hands squeezed every inch of her body, trying to memorize how she felt, what she said, and how she sounded, determined to remember this forever. he couldn't believe he was having sex with roman woods. the same chick that was humming along to taylor swift. the same chick that giggled and denied any compliments he gave her. that same chick was kissing his neck and whispering things in his ear that was definitely nsfw.

her hands were all over him, getting lower as the night went on. roman couldn't believe this is where her life was going. it wasn't even three weeks ago when she broke up with her past boyfriend, and now she was in bed with a guy she met a week ago. she promised herself that she would let herself heal before launching herself into another guy. what good that did her.

pete heard slight tinkling noises in the background, not paying much attention to it. the noise was quickly drowned out by the feeling of roman kissing him again on the lips, and no one noticed the sound of footsteps approaching.

"roman, have you seen my k--"

they ripped apart from each other at the sight of a disgusted yuki at the door of roman' bedroom.

"what the fuck is going on here?" yuki was scarred for life. there was no doubt about it. the image of her best friend doing it with pete fucking davidson would be engraved in her head forever. the silence in the room felt amplified in her mind, no sounds being made except for the occasional car.

after what felt like hours, yuki left. she quickly grabbed her keys she spotted on the dresser, and left the two young adults to their activities.

"well." roman glanced at her partner in bed.

"well."

"you good?"

pete checked under the covers. "yep."

and they resumed, determined not to let a small interruption ruin the best first date they ever had.