05. real life + messages

"you're the sunflower
you're a sunflower."
-- "sunflower", post malone and swae lee

as pete and roman finsihed off yet another round of tic-tac-toe in the moving taxi, the small yellow vehicle struck a pothole, launching the three bodies (including the driver) into the air. a short burst of profanity escaped pete's lips as the notebook they were using fell off his lap. roman let out a squeak as she face-palmed into pete's lap, right where the notebook was a few seconds ago.

"i didn't know you were that desperate to suck my dick, princess," pete teased as roman quickly pushed herself off his thighs.

"what dick?" roman shot back.

"OOOOOH! she got you, bro!" the taxi driver said from the front, earning a "shut up" from pete and a high five from roman. he quickly grabbed roman's hand before she could pull away, putting a wet, sloppy kiss on it (much to pete's dismay). hiding her disgust, roman mumbled a "thank you", wiping her hand on the back of the seat infront of her.

pete gazed became fixed on the window beside him, not saying anything for the rest of the drive. he ignored roman's "are you okay's" and the taxi driver's apologies, focusing on the wonky outfits the pesestrians wore on the sidewalk beside them.

at last, they pulled up infront of the radio show's building, paying the driver and bolting into the 5 story shelter. after having asked the secretary for the location of the show, they walked into the elevator.

silence. what kind of elevator doesn't have elevator music?

breaking the silence, roman asked "what will make you happy, pete? i really didn't mean to hu--"

"you wanna make me happy?" he abruptly yelled, interrupting her speech.

"...yes."

and he kissed her.

-----------

"and that is how i ended up with a hickey on my neck. they didn't wanna stick around for the interview." roman laughed into the microphone, finishing off her interview. the host laughed along with her, and pete gave her a cute smile that nearly melted her heart.

"so, this entire time you been using non-binary pronouns and avoiding names. who you talking 'bout, shorty?" the female host said with a heavy accent. roman giggled and shook her head. "nope. not telling."

"c'mon babe," said the pushing interviewer. "who's the mystery man?"

"who said it was a man?" the singer snarkly commented. it was tiring to always correct people who assumed her sexuality. she had made it known that she was bisexual again and again and got a little tried of the assumptions.

"yeah, who said it wasn't the secretary or something." pete added, making his presence known even without a mic. they laughed. and oh my god pete's laugh was like heaven to roman. she could honest-to-god survive on his laugh alone.

"you've been banging my secretary, roman?" the host chuckled, amused at the stranger in front of her. if roman answered, the host didn't hear it. she was too focused on roman's tagalong. he had an awfully familiar look and she could've swore she saw him before. oh shit, was that pete davidson?

the interview ended and they went to commercial. losing her easygoing demenor, the radio show host turned to pete. "pete davidson? you're ariana's ex, right?"

pete's smiling face stayed on, though his eyes lost the sparkle that was in them moments ago. roman could feel his heartbreak and that feeling alone caused her heart to sink into her stomach. "yup. thank you, next, amiright?" pete joked, and the tension was released from the room. his eyes stayed cold, like the fire was put out from them.