Excuses

Tuesday, September 2

The next day their meet was taken up by practicing for regionals.

"We only have two weeks left!" Gou yelled, ripping a paper off the paper pad she had skillfuly nailed to the fence.

"Lets defidently make it to regionals, and not get disquallified this year!" Makoto added.

Everyone gave a cheer and they all jumped in the pool. They practiced working on individual scores at first; Makoto timed Rei while Haru floated in the water and Nagisa splashed around. Then they switched to their relay practice. When it came Nagisa's turn to exchange, his foot slipped across the wet starting block and he fell sideways into the pool, scrapping his leg on the way down. Makoto, already in the water, pulled him out as if he weighed nothing and set him on the edge of the pool.

"Nagisa, are you alright?" Rei fretted about, his hands feathering over the bloody streak forming across the swimmer's leg.

"I'm fine, really." Nagisa laughed, "sorry about that though, I messed up the pace~"

"Don't worry about it, all that matters is that you're alright." Makoto pulled himself out as well. "You should go to the nurse to get a bandage, though."

"I shall carry you there!" Rei had scooped Nagisa up so fast Haru had to back up to avoid being hit by the blond's legs.

"Rei-chan I can walk myself--" He didn't have a chance to finish, Rei was already running from the pool.

A laugh erupted from Gou, "Just how in love is he?"

Wednesday, September 3

"Splash Fest is this weekend, let's practice exchanges for the relay today, and continue to work on individual times once the even has passed." Makoto announced. His eyes shifted to Haru for a second. "Do your best, but if we need to take a break call it, I don't want anyone to overwork themselves."

It had already been several weeks since the sickness awakened, and he could already see Haru unable to remain the same weight, his shoulders were more contoured, along with his collar and hip bones. A purple bruise was forming on his shoulder were it had bumped into the door frame leaving class, a reminder that this was reality, Haru was sick. Makoto hated to accept it, but he had to, his lover was getting weaker.

They did a few sets before Makoto called a break. Nagisa and Rei looked at him pointedly, they were tired but they could defidently keep going. Makoto jerked his chin towards where Haru was, and they understood. The freestyle swimmer was clutching the starting block, pulled up as though he was about to swim backstroke, breathing hard.

He shot Makoto a look of annoyance. "I can keep going." He snapped.

Makoto gave a cover-up laugh and offered his hand, "Sorry."

"Haru-chan~" Nagisa was about to jump him, but backed off when he noticed the strange aura emitting from the captain. "It's not your fault, I think Rei-chan pulled his foot a little bit so we are taking a break.

Haru looked over to where Rei -had he pulled his foot- should be sitting down and resting, but was instead cluelessly stretching and jogging in place. "Right."

"Well maybe it's a little bit you..." Nagisa laughed nervously.

Haruka brushed passed him, looking rather pissed.

"Haru..." Makoto gazed after him, "excuse me for a moment, Nagisa." Following quickly, he entered the club room. Haru had pulled his shirt over his head, and was reaching for his pants.