Summer Rain

Friday, September 12

The week dragged by slower than expected. Makoto slept at his house every night except two, when he had to watch his siblings, and always made sure Haru got his injection. His class mates spread a few rumors but they got old fast, no one payed attention to him anymore, just like it used to be. Haru welcomed it with open arms. He never wanted to be at the center of attention anyway. Now he worried about finding a swimsuit that fit properly. Tomorrow he'd go buy one to add to his collection, and then he'd jog to Iwatobi and swim for hours. That's what Haru hoped as he walked home that Friday, with Makoto by his slide. If his body could withstand running a bit, his plan was dependent on that, being unable to swim was out of the question.

Haru's endurance was brought down by AML, it made him weak, he bruised easily, and bled just as fast. It pissed him off so, so much. Why couldn't he just be free? Doesn't matter, Haru thought, I'll swim tomorrow. then he remembered Rin's text saying he was coming over, probably to stay the night. He didn't even ask if it was OK, just announced he'd be there. Annoyance tugged the corners of Haru's mouth downwards, he kicked a rock and watched it sail out of reach and hit Makoto's heel.

"Haru? What's wrong?" Makoto asked.

"Rin is coming."

"Why do you say that like a bad thing?"

"Wanna swim."

"You can still swim," he waited for Haru to catch up.

Haru snorted but didn't say anything. They were silent for a few minutes, and then a soft drizzle started. Haru's hands went up to loosen his tie, and he removed the out layer of his uniform, slinging it over an arm.

"Summer rain?" Makoto questioned, bringing his hands up. He noticed Haru a moment later, "Haru, don't strip! You'll get sick!" He pulled the black blazer back over Haru's shoulders. As if taunting them, the clouds broke and rain thundered down on them. Makoto held his bag above his head an pulled Haru along, the boy attempting to slow and feel the water as it fell from the sky. They ran all the way up the stairs to the Nanase residence and burst through the front door. Water pooled on the ground around them as they stood there, panting. Makoto set down his bag and stripped of his sodden blazer and shirt, motioning for Haru to follow as he set out for the bathroom. They hung their wet uniforms to dry, Makoto filled a bath while Haru held the dripping fabric close. Water ran from his hair into his eyes and down his back.

"Haru-chan, the bath is ready,"

Haru turned, about to correct Makoto on his name, but was cut off with a sneeze. The taller boy frowned and pulled him over, looking at the jammers he was still wearing with disapproval.

"See what happens when you stay in wet clothes? Now you have a cold." Makoto ran his hand through silky black hair, "take that off before you get in."

Haru did as he was told, and sank into the steaming water.

<> <> <>

Rin pulled on his cap and locked his dorm room, tucking the key in his pocket. He quickly checked for signs of Nitori, but finding none, headed for the stairs. He checked in with the dorm counselor, getting permission to be out over night.

Cold air hit him like a brick, and he zipped up his jacket, starting his jog. It didn't take long to get to Haru's house, even with his awkward puddle-avoiding. Rin was willing to bet his next rock-paper-scissors match against Sousuke that Haru had stayed out in the rain. He rang the door bell, got no reply, and rang it again twice. He counted three seconds before starting an onslaught of ringing. The door burst open and there was Haru, hair dripping, steam curling off his skin. Annoyance radiated off him in waves, but he still stepped aside to let Rin in.