Chapter 2

Chapter 2

AFTER FINDING A VIDEO that captured Lizzy explaining that she will be dead in a matter of days because she found a way to mutate her DNA and change her eye color from brown to purple. This is why she died.

In less than two hours after watching the video that explained my sister's death, I dyed the end portion of my hair a blood red. A color that not only represented my sister but the blood spilt because of disagreeing opinions. I had spent the good portion of my evening sitting in my adjustment session, or Cal calls it so. It is meant to perfect my look before entering the public area but I find that it makes a decent reflective seating.

That being said, I sit in the cushioned grey seat to look at myself in the mirror. My simple two braids hold the light blonde locks of hair up and out of my sight. If I showed up to a public area with hair in my face, I would be publicly shamed and then hanged or burned. My hair, therefore, stays in two braids or a simple twist bun at all times.

My blonde hair is light enough that any dirt is easily spotted. I wash my hair every night with the controlled amount of shampoo and conditioner given to me while in the shower.
"Jayden, please proceed to get dressed for the Protocol. You have exactly ten minutes before transportation arrive."

I stand from the colorless stool and walk to the door, it opening effortlessly before I strip of the simple black cotton shirt and white shorts. I slide on the expensive dress that hangs from my closet and pull the elastics from my hair before ridding my hair of two tight braids.

I run a shaky hand through honey colored hair and lift my chin to see my reflection. The white dress holds my curves and has a line of mesh down in a line meeting in the middle of my chest and one right under my breasts.

The material is thick and smooth and goes almost down to the floor but keeps it's form. The overall look is pleasing and should look good for such a stressful event. Even more so than I am, Cal is nervous so I have convinced myself that no matter my personal feelings I must be strong. I walk swiftly and barefooted to Cal's room to request an opening. Once the door opens, I walk in the room meeting Cal in a black dress.

She turns around at the sound of the door. Her eyes are red and rimmed with tears. Cal sits at the edge of her bed and somewhat collapses into the cushion. I rush to her side in a hope to calm her before the ceremony starts. She falls into my side as her sobs rack her body. She sheds many tears before she is able to utter a word.

"What if one of us gets picked?"

I cannot say that I didn't think about the possibility of Cal getting picked because it may single handedly ruin my life but I would wish that she would have better luck.  I am left numbly staring at the floor as Cal cries into my shoulder. I was never good at satisfying those who were sad nor was I ever understanding when it came to bawling your eyes out.

Lizzy was much better at such things. I was my father's daughter with little light into why people cried over things they did not know about.
Father waits for us at the door and he looks nothing close to tears but I can see the possibility in his eyes.

It's painful to watch; watching such a strong man be so vulnerable. My heart refuses to move with me as I walk past my father and into the train that waits for me. My heart watches me leave with Cal through the window of my old house because of what I know I might do.