Chapter 3

Chapter 3

WHEN LEO IS DONE, we pass. We go through the gate into a prison. Not literally, but that's what if feels like. I huge open building should not feel as tight and restricting as this one now does.
The sound of chattering and talking fills the arena but I want nothing more than to shrink back into my small life with no one but a few people around. I bump into people and they bump into me. I don't have enough space to even move. Leo pulls me to a more secluded area and calms me down. I pull my dress down again and lean against the wall. He holds both of my hands. I look into his perfect emerald eyes. I wish my eyes looked like that. He smooths over the side of my hair.

The sound of a microphone sounding makes my eardrums hurt and I drop Leo's grip to cover my ears. "Excuse me. All participants in the Protocol Listing are to go to their designated seats or they will be removed from the event," in other words executed. I look back at Leo and he peels my sweaty hands from my ears and wraps his own hands around them. He whispers, "I'm selfish, Jay." I shake my head in confusion: Leo isn't selfish; I don't know if he could do anything to make himself be considered as selfish. He nods, "I'm sorry, Jay. I'm sorry because I'm selfish, and I'm selfish because I can't stand the idea of someone taking this from you, so... I will."

His eyes flicker to my lips and suddenly I'm locked in a haze with his own. I still don't understand what he wants, though. What could he take that could suddenly make him selfish?

Before I can ask another question, his lips are on mine. I've never kissed a boy before. I've never had a boy's lips on my own before. I don't have time to process one more think because he's gone. He just stole my first kiss and now he's gone. I might never get to kiss those lips again.

I touch my index finger to my lips. In a way, he is selfish. Not because he kissed me, but because he did it now. Because he stole my last words to him right out of my mouth. I wanted to tell him something. I still had unspoken words that I wanted to voice and he silenced me.

I look around and only a few people are still scattering to their seats so I hurry to where I see Cal sitting. When I plop down on the seat with my name flashing in white on, it stops flashing and turns a dark grey. Cal turns to me with red eyes and a puffy face, "Where were you, Jay?"

I shake my head slowly, still in a gaze. I bring my hand to my lips again and Cal gasps. I snap my head up to meet her intense stare, something I dread to see. Her wide eyes stare straight at my lips as if she will be able to break them with a look. She looks back up at me. I think some part of her sees the part in me breaking.

The one longing to stay with her and dad and Leo. I want life to stay the way it is. But for some reason people say that they hate change, yet they still ignite it.

A beautiful looking lady steps on the stage, the sound of her stilettos clicking on the floor bring me back to reality. She has dark brown hair and a cocky smile etched on her lips. I have a strong urge to slap her. She smiles widely, folding her hands in front of her grey slip dress. She begins to speak, her eyes light up, "Today, we are celebrating our Generation Alpha XXY with the GS here in Everland. Everyone with sixteen years between their birth date, no more, no less, will be allowed a chance to show their skills. After they are chosen, they will be put into the test, regardless of the situation. As you may know, we will start the ceremony by introducing this year's course designer and then we will begin the drawings as to who will be representing Alpha XXY. We will line up the winners at the end of the ceremony and announce you to the world tomorrow," after she finishes she precedes to say this in ten million more languages.

Teens who are 16 years old, all over the world have traveled to the state capital to be here for this. Thanks to Gem's invention of the Air Portal, or what we still call a train, people can be transported from a place 20 hours away and it only takes ten minutes. We live only about 2 hours away so it only took a minute. It takes the air from in front, behind, and beside the train and pushes it behind the train, making its speed double and then double that.