The Girl

"Please, Mother

"Please, Mother. You must let me invite him. He is my friend." I beg as mother sits on the throne next to father. There are guards on every corner watching me intensely as if I was an enemy about to ambush my own parents.

"He is a dragon. He is not permitted to enter the castle until he comes of age." I never understood the laws of the fairies. If their mission was to protect the royal families, why keep us apart from such sinless and loving creatures. Why cast them away in such a hard way that they must follow outrageous laws? Isn't that what made the Black Dragons become the most deadly creatures of the land?

"But he is not just a dragon. He is my friend. He is trustworthy and kind. I want him to be with me  in such an important night as my birthday. Do you want me to be miserable at my own ball?"

"You won't be. Young heirs from the four kingdoms will be present. It is time you find it in your best interest to associate yourself with individuals who share the same aspirations as you."

"And what is that?"

"To rule." My father breaks his silence. "You will be 11 years old in two weeks. You are no longer a child. You need to learn about responsibility for the sake of this kingdom that will one day be yours. Your enemies will haunt you down and you need to be able to show them no fear nor weakness. Your mother and I won't always be there to guide you. You need to start now making the right decisions that will sometimes require sacrifices."