Communication Matters//Matthew Daddario

The Shadowhunters cast threw a party in order to celebrate being renewed for a fourth season. It was held at Dominic’s flat. He invited everyone, including their significant others. Matthew Daddario, better known as Alexander Lightwood, brought his gorgeous girlfriend with him.

Matthew was 30 while Y/N was merely 24. The two never let the age gap affect them. They always held their heads high and walked proudly together, not letting the media’s words get to them. It worked only for so long.

Lately, Matthew has been having doubts and fears. He was scared that Y/N will change her mind about commitment since she’s young. He was afraid she’ll leave him for someone younger, more suitable to her mentally.

Unknowingly to him, Matthew wasn’t the only one who was feeling doubt and his girlfriend was even more scared than him. His beloved girlfriend felt that he’ll realise she’s too young for him and will leave her for someone more appropriately aged. Someone with whom he has more in common with.

Neither of the two thought about actually talking to the other about what was troubling them. Instead, they distanced themselves, a thing which nearly cost them their relationship.

The pair arrived together but was soon to separate. Y/N went to her closest friends, who happened to be Shadowhunters’ younger cast, Alberto Rosende and Katherine McNamara, while Matthew went immediately do the older actors, such as Dominic Sherwood and Harry Shum Jr.

After a couple of hours of interacting with his mates, Matt went to the side of the room to stand by himself. He needed some time alone with his thoughts. His eyes wandered around the room until they landed on his stunning girlfriend.

Matthew couldn’t help but stare at his her, who was sitting across the room intently. She was sitting between her best friends on a grey leathered couch. Alberto on her right and Kat on her left.

Matthew felt bad. He was 6 years older than his partner and thought the age gap was starting to affect them. Y/N always hung out with the younger actors and it started to take a toll on Matthew. He wanted to tell her about his concerns but he was afraid she’ll think he was right and would leave him. Matthew shook his head and went over to talk with Dominic Sherwood, his co-star and best friend.

“I don’t know what to do, man,” Matthew said, sighing. He took a sip of his cold beer and leaned his head on the wall behind him.

“Just talk to her. Your relationship is doomed to fail without communication,” Dominic reasoned.

Matthew nodded, “You’re right, I’ll talk with her when we get back to my place.”

The two continued to converse, but about not about matters of importance.

Meanwhile, Y/N was feeling just as bad as her boyfriend, “Guys, I don’t know what to do,” she sighed before continuing, “I care for Matt, I really do, but I can see how our age gap is starting to get to him. What do you think I should do?” she asked, her eyes searching for answers desperately.

“As your official best friend,” Alberto began, making Kat scoff, “I say just talk to him. I know he cares for you too, and I don’t want to see you two lose what you have because of a silly age gap.”

“I couldn’t agree more. I mean, look, you don’t want to lose him, right?” Kat asked. Y/N nodded in response. “So just talk to him about what’s bothering you. Work this out!”

“I’m just scared that after we’ll talk he’ll want someone older, more mature, who’s more fit for him, and he’ll leave me,” Y/N frowned.

“He’ll never leave you, hun! If only you heard the way he speaks about you to us. His eyes shine with adoration and his smile is the biggest I’ve ever seen,” Kat said, making the Y/H/C haired girl blush deeply.

Matthew said his goodbyes to Dominic and Harry, who joined them a while after and went over to where his beautiful girlfriend sat.

“Hey babe, ready to go home?” he asked.

“Yeah, give me a sec, I’ll say goodnight to everyone,” she smiled at him lovingly.

Y/N hugged Alberto, who stood up with her in order to bid his goodbye properly and then slouched over to hug Kat goodbye. Kat wrapped her arms around Y/N and whispered “You got this, tiger!” in her ear. Y/N smiled warmly at her friend before straightening her back and coming near her boyfriend.

She waved goodbye to everyone else and smiled shyly as Matt wrapped his arm around her shoulders. The two walked in a semi-comfortable silence all the way to Matthew’s car. Once seated, and with the car running, the pair spoke simultaneously;

“I’m scared,” both of them said. That sent them into a small fit of laughter.

As soon as it died down, the frown returned to their faces.

“Why are you scared?” Y/N asked.

Matthew’s eyes kept going back and forth between the road and her face. He admired her features. He wasn’t sure if it’d be a good idea to tell her. He didn’t want her to leave him, but he also knew that honesty is the key to a successful relationship. That, as well as communication. Without those two, every relationship is doomed to fail. He eventually decided to come right out and say it.

Matthew let out a sigh before beginning, “I’m scared you’ll leave me. I’m scared you think I’m too old for you. I’m scared you’ll wake up one day, and realise that I’m not what you want.” At this point, Y/N had a few tears streaming down her cheeks. She kept her intense gaze on Matt, who was too busy focusing on the road. What she didn’t know was that he was avoiding her stare on purpose. He didn’t want to look at her, he was too ashamed of himself. Matt took let out another deep sigh before letting out the final sentence that broke him too, “That you’ll realise you want someone younger, and that you’ll leave me for him.” Matthew parked the car in his assigned spot, and laid his head on the steering wheel, crying softly.

“Hey, hey look at me,” Y/N said, stroking Matthew’s jet black hair softly. 

Matthew lifted his head, his gaze slowly meeting hers. Both of their eyes were red and bloodshot. Y/N let a small smile take over her lips at the sight of her boyfriend. Even at his most miserable state, he still looked beautiful. And it was at this moment that Y/N realised she would never want anyone else. She wants to marry the guy in front of her. The guy that is so scared of losing her, he’d actually risk his own life for her.

“I will never leave you. Not for anyone. Not even if Chris Evans came to my house and said that he wants to marry me. You are the only one for me. I love you, Matt.” Y/N took Matthew’s face between her hands and wiped his tears away. She pulled back and lowered her gaze into her lap, where she fiddled with her fingers before continuing, “I was scared you were going to leave me. That you think I’m too immature for you, and that you’ll wake up one day and realise you want someone older, someone with whom you have more in common with.”

“No, no, no, no! Baby, I would never! I wouldn’t ever dream of it! I love you so fucking much. I could never leave you! Please don’t think like that anymore!” Matthew pleaded. His eyes held such sadness and desperation and it broke Y/N’s heart even more. Knowing she was the reason he was in this state. This time it was Matthew who cupped Y/N’s cheeks. This time it was him who wiped away her tears.

“So we were both scared the other would leave because of the age gap?” Y/N let out a bitter laugh after pulling back from Matt’s touch.

“I guess so,” Matthew sighed.

“So…Now what?” Y/N inquired.

“Now, I’m gonna take you home and show you how much I love you,” Matthew paused to kiss Y/N’s lips, “how much I want you to stay,” another kiss, “and how happy I am you’ll pick me over Chris Evans,” another kiss.

The pair finally got out of the car. Matthew walked over to where his gorgeous girlfriend stood and scooped her up into his arms, literally sweeping her off of feet. She let out a small squeak before wrapping her arms around his neck, securing herself from falling.

That night, Matthew sure did show everything he promised to Y/N. And she returned the favour with just as much adoration and love. They never had issues related to their age gap ever again.