Chapter 4

"What the hell have you been doing to her?" Jensen screams. Even though I'm in another hotel room, I can hear every word of the argument coming from the other side of the walls.

"Sit down," Harper says, her eyes not leaving the laptop set up on one of the twin beds in the room. "I don't think they want you to be a part of that."

"Well, they should learn to lower their voices then," I say, still pressing one ear against the door dividing the two rooms. "That's none of your business," Asher bellows back. "You don't have the right to be here, or do you want me to make the call to the police. I'm sure they'll be happy learning you're in this town."

There is a long pause, and I can imagine Jensen weighing up the consequences of hitting Asher. With all the dead bodies that find their way around Jensen when he's working it's made the cops want to question him.

After the pause, Jensen says, "You can't keep doing that to her. I know how you get your false psychic predictions, and I won't let you abuse her like that."

"How am I abusing her?" Asher says, his voice full of arrogance. "She gets to broaden her cultural knowledge, has plenty to eat, and I'm ensuring she continues her studies. It is more than my psycho father did for her."

"Don't you dare say a bad word against Ridley," Jensen growls. "Ridley kept us safe and taught us to defend ourselves. You just don't want to admit that."

"My father was a deranged fool who believed in monsters and boogeymen, and eventually those mental problems got him killed," Asher says in a matter-of-fact tone. "Or was he one more of your victims?"

Another moment of silence passes and I'm concerned Jensen might actually hit Asher this time, but in a somewhat calm voice, he says, "You don't know what you're talking about. What about this question, do you have a clue what Sera was doing tonight?"

"Don't worry about that, I'll be talking to her about leaving the caravan without my permission," Asher says. "And if that's not enough, then I'll ground her for the next two years."

What the hell? I'm not liking where this conversation is going. I'll definitely go crazy if he locks me up for such a prolonged period, and I doubt he'll let me out after that as he knows I'll just leave.

"Why do I even bother, I'm just going to..."

Jensen's voice is drowned out by a sudden squeal from Harper.

I tear my attention away from the door and rush over to the bed. "What is it?"

"I found it!" Harper exclaims, jumping off the bed and grabbing the laptop. She pushes past me and yanks open the door, barging into the other room.

I rush after her. Whatever's got her this excited I don't want to miss.

"Get out!" Asher screams. His face tinged with red as though he's been out in the sun for too long and deep wrinkles snakes across his forehead.

Harper ignores him and places the laptop on the desk taking up most of the wall beside the door. "I found our next location."

"What the bloody hell are you talking about?" Asher spits as he flashes Jensen one more hateful look before turning his attention to the laptop.

"I was going through all the emails, you know, the ones like my daughter is possessed, yadda yadda, or please check out this haunted piece of crap, yadda yadda," Harper says in a rushed breath.

"Well, what is it?" Asher crosses his arms in front of his chest.

"While searching through the usual emails I came across the mother load." Harper clicks on a link and a web page with a video fills the screen.