Chapter 5

I slide down in the backseat as the car inches closer to the hotel Asher's arranged for our stay, the sound of angry jeers surround the vehicle. Yeah, he was able to convince the mayor and other influential people -- ie, the money hungry people -- that this might draw in tourism and positive attention for the little backwater town. But, that didn't stop the protestors who would like to see us set on fire even more than they want us to turn around and leave.

The turnout of protestors doesn't surprise me. Even though Asher has an obsessive following, even more curses him for being the devil, especially from these smaller towns. "This is going to be a bloody good show," Asher says from the passenger seat, obviously relishing in the number of protesters that turned out this time. "Can't you just feel it. All of this is free publicity, and I'm bloody loving it."

"Do you think we'll have troubles with the locales once the production runs?" Harper asks, her gaze lingering on the crowd outside the vehicle.

"These idiots are giving us what we want. The more a town hates us, the more the audience loves us." Asher laughs, rapping his knuckles against the window. "This is going to cause a sensation. Oh yeah, people will definitely come. Even if it's just to curse at us, haven't you heard controversy is sure to double the ratings."

The car comes to a stop, and I waste no time in opening the door. "I'll see you back at the hotel later."

"Where do you think you're going?" Asher yells.

I ignore him as I throw off my seatbelt and dash from the car. I push through the crowd, holding my breath as pain assaults me in sporadic intervals as my skin brushes against the protestors. It would be easier to ignore these visions if Asher didn't force me to wear annoying dresses and other clothes that he says 'won't harm his image' if people see me with him.

Harper's voice sounds behind me, "Don't worry I'll follow her." She races from the car and falls into step beside me.

"I don't need a babysitter," I say, not taking my gaze away from where I'm going.

"I know," she says. "I just wanted to get away from that circus as well. And when was I just your babysitter?"

"I--" I'm cut off by a man spitting in my face.

"Evil is coming!" he screams. He's dressed in ragged and torn clothes with stubble creating dark shadows on his face. His hair looks like a greasy mop on his head. "We don't need that evil."

"Get out of this town," another voice screams and hands give me a hard shove from behind.

I stagger forward as more hands target me, screaming out profanities. Harper grabs me by the hand, her dark woollen glove itchy against my skin. With a yank, she drags me through the protestors who have turned their anger towards us. I'm starting to believe that getting out of the car was a bad idea.

My throat constricts as I suck in a breath. Intense bursts of pain come at staggered intervals with each person I knock into. Brief snippets of heart attacks, electric shocks, car wreckages and other various deaths engulf me.

Someone grabs my arm, digging their sharp nails into my cold skin. "We don't need you in this town."

The air rushes out of my lungs as if someone's punched me in the gut, and a hollow feeling washes over me. My knees buckle as I lurch forward. A burning sensation fills my throat as I gasp for breath.

"Let go." Harper hits the woman holding me and she pulls me out of the woman's grip. "Are you okay?"

I glance back at the woman, the one whose death felt like an endless void and feel my skin crawl as the dark shadow that usually stalks the person appears like a dark, murky cloud snaking around the woman's ankle, and moving up her body. I've never seen the shadow touch a person before, and now it hugs her whole body.