Chapter 10

I push the door to the hotel room open with slow movements as I creep back into the room. The sound of arguing coming from the main room inside tells me straight away that not only is Asher awake, but he's also in an extremely pissed mood.

I rub my battered arms as I slink past the lounge room door and head straight for the bathroom. After the training session ended up with me being nothing more than a punching bag for Jensen, I really need a shower.

"Where have you been?" a voice growls behind me, causing my footsteps to freeze.

"I went for a walk," I say, keeping my back to Asher. I run a hand through my long hair and give a silent prayer that he doesn't notice the scrapes or dirt covering my legs. "You were with him, weren't you?" Asher grabs my arm, his warm and sweaty hand brushing against the edge of my jumper and my exposed skin, and spins me to face him. "I know he's hiding somewhere in this town. I want you to stay away from him."

A sudden pain engulfs my head, and my vision goes cloudy. I force my shaky legs to stay standing and drop my gaze to the ground. I want to scream out, I want to run away from here, I want to do anything but see the dark shadow standing behind him.

His fingers sink into my cold skin. "You are my responsibility, which means that I have the responsibility to call the cops if I see a suspicious character hanging around."

"Let go of me," I growl as I yank my arm away from him. I stumble back, my gaze falling on the shadow inches away from Asher's neck. I suddenly realise Asher has less than a week to live.

I spin around and dash away from him on shaky legs.

"Where do you think you're going?" Asher yells from behind me. "We're not finished here."

I don't answer him, I reach the bathroom and slam the door behind me. My legs give out and I sink to the floor, leaning back against the door. I need to convince him to leave before the show. Something terrible is going to happen if we stay here.

* * *

I force myself to take a deep breath before I enter the lounge room. How the hell am I supposed to face Asher when I know he's going to die, and very soon? Yeah, he's a total jerk, but I would never wish for him to die -- at least I don't think I would.

Asher doesn't look in my direction as I move into the room. He sits on the lounge, having a heated conversation with the mayor sitting beside him, and two other people. I recognise the woman as the one from the video, and the other is Toby. Their gazes fixed on the coffee table which is scattered with papers.

Toby's gaze turns in my direction and the slightest of smiles tugs at his lips. "Are you okay?" JC's voice reaches me, causing me to jump a little. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"No, you didn't scare me." I tear my gaze away from the meeting taking place and turn towards JC who's now standing beside me. "I'm guess I'm just thinking a little."

"Hey, do you want to get out of here?"

"I don't think I'm supposed to leave." I shake my head.

"I'm sure if it's with me it wouldn't be a problem." He flashes me a grin before moving with determined steps over to where the two men are seated. He leans in close to his father and says something in a soft voice. After receiving a reply, JC returns to me and says, "Let's go."

JC leaves the hotel with me rushing to keep up with him.

"So, where are we going?"

He smiles but doesn't slow his pace. "I haven't thought that far in advance. But I thought it would be best to get you out of there as quick as possible."

He moves with quick and determined steps as he winds his way through the quiet streets. When the ocean comes into view, I stumble a couple of steps, but thankfully remain standing. My heart jackhammers in my chest as I stare at the water. Of all places he had to bring me, why the beach?

"Is everything okay?" JC shoots me a look of concern.

"Yeah." I force a smile onto my face. "So, we're going to the beach?"

"Yeah, this place is probably the only place to get away and relax in this town, plus you didn't get to enjoy it at the party last night. I also thought it would be a great place to get to know you more."

"Okay, you're right," I say, not able to argue with his logic.

"Are you sure you don't want to tell me about last night?" He stops near the line where the golden sand turns dark from the water rushing up the beach and turns his gaze towards me.

I shake my head. "It was nothing. I'm sure you wouldn't believe me anyway."

"I'm sure whatever you tell me can't be that crazy." His eyes search my face, and he loses a bit of his cheeky grin. "That's okay, if you don't want to tell me, I won't force you."

"So, do you like it here?" I ask, wanting to change the topic, as I stare out at the water.

"It's okay." He shrugs. "It's only a small town, so there's nothing to do here." He removes his shoes and socks, abandoning them on the beach, and starts walking towards the water. "I have lived here for ten years, so I guess I can call this place home."

I stop on the edge of the dry sand and watch the wave crash in front of my feet, a shiver rushing through my body. Every time the water brushes against my toes I take a quick step back. The numerous deaths of me drowning surface to the front of my mind.

I shake my head and turn my attention back to JC. "So, you weren't born here?"

JC shakes his head and turns to face me. "Dad moved us out here after Mum died. This is the place he was born, so I guess he wanted to bring me home. So what about you? I can't possibly believe Asher's your father."

A laugh escapes my lips, and I spit out, "Yeah, he's definitely not." I sit on the warm sand and run my hands through the coarse grains. "But unfortunately he is my legal guardian."

"So, where are your family?"

"Um, they died a while back. I can't believe this town only has the beach as an entertainment spot."

JC walks back and sits beside me. "I'm sorry, did I bring you to the wrong place?"

"No, it's fine." I force a smile. "I'm not a big fan of large bodies of water."

"Do you want to tell me about it?" JC asks, and then quickly adds, "But, it's okay if you don't, you know if it's too personal or something."

"It's a stupid reason." I shake my head.

"I promise I won't laugh."

"Well, it's sort of like a nightmare I continually have of drowning," I mumble. "See, I told you it was something stupid."

"It's not stupid. But, I wish you'd told me earlier then I would have thought of somewhere else to take you. Even the school would have been better."

"No, it's a nice place."

"Hey, JC. I need a word with you," a boy's scream breaks into our conversation.

I turn my attention to the direction of the voice and spot Toby, his dark hair swishing in front of his eyes, running in this direction.

"What do you want, Toby?" JC leans back and looks over his shoulder.

"I need to talk to you about this crappy show," Toby yells as he reaches us.

"Can't you see I'm busy?"

"I don't care. I need to talk to you now."

JC turns to me and smiles. "I'm sorry, Sera, but do you mind heading back on your own?"

I move my attention between the two boys, finally settling my gaze on JC's face. "Yeah, sure. Is everything okay?"

"I'm sure it's fine. Just tell Dad I'll be back later if he asks."

"Okay." I push myself to my feet and give the boys one more glance before turning away from the beach and heading back to the hotel.