Chapter 5. Message

5.               Message

            The day was hot and it was still hot when the sun had set. I had my bag packed and I was walking across the sand towards the hill. I had a gun and extra bullets, a hoddie and a bottle of water in my bag. I walked along the top of the hill as soon as I reached the science lab I knew I shouldn’t have come alone. The plumb man was standing out the front of the science lab with a group of hunters.

            I grabbed my gun out of my bag and clicked the safety switch off; I aimed the gun at the Aquatics ready to shot them if I had too. But they walked into the science lab; I ran past the science lab and didn’t stop running until I reached the end of the hill. I walked down the hill carefully as soon as I was done the bottom I ran towards the house, I kept the gun in my hands. I reached the old abandoned house; I walked across the front porch carefully not wanting to make a floorboard creak.

            I was inside and I began looking for a letter or something along the lines. I was looking for something form Leon and the plumb man, I was about to give up when I saw a piece of paper on a mouldy table in the kitchen. I picked the piece of paper up when I heard a gun being cocked. I turned around to see a girl around my age with a rifle in her hands.

            “Are you human?” she asked, the voice sounded familiar.

            “Why should I tell you that?” I demanded I had my gun in my hands aiming at the girl.

            “Are you a hunter?” she asked again.

            “No, in fact I’m human,” I replied not bothering to hide my species.

            The girl sighed in relief and lowered her rifle. I lowered my gun as well, the girl walked towards me, she walked into the light of the window and I realized that the girl was my best friend Hex. Hex’s black hair was curly and her green eyes showed relief. I had been friends with Hex since Year one.

            “Becky, you’re human,” Hex gaped.

            “Yep and you are too,” I replied.

            Hex was about to talk some more when helicopters circled outside, Hex’s eyes widen in fear. Footsteps came down the hall, I grabbed the letter and ran to the back door but Hex pushed me back and looked out the small window.

            “Back towards the front, there are Aquatics out there,” Hex said.

            Hex and I ran towards the front door when someone pushed me against the wall, Hex was leaving the house but she looked back towards me. She lifted up her rifle and aimed it at the person holding me against the wall. I kicked the person in the stomach and ran towards Hex.

            “Becky wait,” the person called.

            “Corey,” I gasped.

            “I’m sorry Becky I saw a news report on the TV and this was a trick,” Corey explained.

            “It’s okay but we need to get outta here,” I replied.

            “Becky hurry the helicopter has landed,” Hex said, Corey and I ran to catch up to her, “follow me I have a hideout nearby.”

            We followed Hex, she led us through the forest that surrounded the back of the abandoned house, the only place I remember being out here was the old cemetery and that place freaked me out. And to admit it took a lot to freak me out. The forest began thinning and I could see the old cemetery up ahead, Hex slowed down to a walk and Corey and I slowed down too. She led us to an old crypt; Hex opened the door and walked inside without waiting for us. Corey walked after her and I reluctantly followed them, in the silent night I could hear footsteps, I turned to see massive spotlights shining in the forest.