Nine

Allie watched Harry with uncertainty as he approached her, stopping at the end of the bed before he sat himself down. He was in a plain white tee and black sweats, a glass of water and a thermometer on his hand.

"I'm fine." Allie informed him. She only felt a little warm, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

Harry held out the glass of water for her to take. After two seconds of looking at the water Allie suddenly realized how thirsty she actually was. She took the glass, taking down three huge hills of the water before placing the glass down on the end table.

"If you still have a fever we're going back to the clinic." Harry said, taking the thermometer out of its case.

"It's just a fever, Harry." Allie reminded him.

"Your fever was over 106 when I took you in. If you don't want to take your temperature, at least take it for me."

Allie adjusted her position, bringing her knees down so she was sitting cross legged on the bed. Harry handed her the thermometer, which Allie took with a sigh. She placed it under her tongue, and after fifteen seconds the device beeped at her. She pulled it from her mouth, looking at the reading.

101 exact.

"What does it say?"

"It's nothing a good nights sleep can't sleep off." Allie said, hiding the number as she closed her fingers around the thermometer, getting up to rinse it off.

"Kelly said if it reads over 100, we have to go back to the clinic and see her. What did it say, Allie?" Harry repeated himself, following her to the attached guest bathroom.

Harry flicked on the light switch in the bathroom as Allie went to the sink and turned on the faucet, rinsing off the thermometer.

"100." She lied, partly.

Harry watched her with a frown from the mirror. She could feel his eyes on her but she ignored his gaze, turning off the faucet and opening the medicine cabinet to the right of the mirror.

"Here. I'll clean it." Harry said, holding his hand out for the thermometer. Allie dried it off with her sweater before handing it to him. Harry put the thermometer back in its clear case, before tucking it in the pocket of his sweat pants.

Allie was leaning against the sink, her back to the mirror, when Harry lifted up his arm to press the back of his hand against her forehead. It caught her slightly off guard, thankful that the sink was there for her support.

Allie's skin was warm compared to Harry's hand, and his skin was always naturally warm. He started to retract his hand, but not before tucking away a loose strand behind her ear that she had missed when putting her hair up in a messy bun. Allie's eyes were watching Harry's, exhaustion with a hint of dullness in his brown eyes. Usually they were twinkling with excitement and life, but right now, they were lifeless.

When Harry pulled his hand away, Allie studied his face more, tilting her head to the side as she crossed her arms.

"Somethings wrong." Allie started, not knowing where this conversation was going to go. She at least wanted him to admit to her that he was indeed struggling with something. But whether they'd get to his drug issue or not was completely unpredictable.

Harry shook his head. "I'm just tired. It's been a long day."

"Then you must be tired everyday."

Harry frowned. "What?"

Allie moved around Harry and out of the bathroom as he followed her back to the bed, sitting in the same position as before.

"Remember when you were depressed, Harry? When I came to see you. I know you remember that."