Death's Gonna Come

Marvin lies back against the hospital bed, exhausted and lonely. His entire family had to head home for the night, as visiting hours were over and even Charlotte was unable to convince the hospital to let them stay longer. This was all Whizzer's fault. If it hadn't been for him, Marvin would still be living happily. Or at least somewhat happily. Marvin groans and throws an arm over his face to hide the ever growing stockpile of tears that is threatening to fall. Every time he thinks of his deceased lover he feels as though his heart is being wrenched out of his body and stomped on on the ground below. He loves Whizzer with all he has, and he knows that they will be reunited shortly. This doesn't make it any easier.

"Marvin?" He hears a soft voice say. Though faint, he recognizes that voice anywhere. Sure enough, once he forces his eyes open he sees the source of the noise. His eyes widen, and the tears he was holding back rapidly fall.

"Oh my god. It's you." Marvin tries to sit up but feels a gentle hand push him back. He sighs and stares at his friend, smiling. "I missed you."

"And I, you. I'm sorry this is how we meet again. I hate how I did this to you," Whizzer says quietly, running a hand through Marvin's hair. He takes a seat on the edge of the bed, lying down slowly. He calmly curls up around Marvin's back, holding him tightly as he had just months before. Marvin nuzzles back against him with a sigh.

"This means I'm going to die soon, huh. At least I'll have you again," he whispers sadly. "I'm gonna miss Jason though. He's a good kid."

"He's strong. And you'll be there to watch over him," Whizzer replies.

"He's already had to deal with one death of someone close to him. I don't know if he will be alright. I don't really show it often, but I do care about him."

"I know you do. But there's nothing you can do about it, so stop beating yourself up about it. You're gonna die; that's just how it is."

"Could you be any more blunt?"

Whizzer rolls his eyes and tucks his head in Marvin's neck. He closes his eyes and waits for Marvin to fall asleep, determined to stay there until he wakes up.

The next day, Trina receives the call. She grabs Mendel by the collar and drags him out the door, screaming at Jason to follow her. The drive is entirely silent. Though neither Mendel nor Jason knows entirely what is going on, they have their suspicions. Jason breaks the uncomfortable silence after a moment, incredibly worried as to what is going on.

"It's dad, isn't it?" Trina's continued silence affirms Jason's conclusion. He looks down, unable to stop tears welling up in his eyes. "He's dead, isn't he..." He sobs a bit but the others are unable to comfort him.

"Honey, he's not dead yet," Trina says reassuringly, aware that there is no use in denying that Marvin will inevitably pass.

"But he's close. That's why we left so urgently. So we can see him... one... last... time," Jason cries, chest heaving as he pulls his knees up to his chest and hugs them tightly.

"Jason, it will be alright, I promise," Mendel tries, looking over his shoulder at the miserable child.

"That's what you keep saying! But is anything ever alright? I already lost Whizzer, and I'm about to lose my father, so what is alright?" Jason shouts back bitterly, breathing heavily. Mendel, at a loss for words, stays quiet and lets Jason calm down on his own. Once the trio arrives at the hospital, they check in as quickly as humanly possible, finding Charlotte and Cordelia already in the room.

"Good, you're all here. He's on life support, but I have no idea how much longer he'll live. It's great you all got here before it's too late," Charlotte mutters, stepping away from the doorway so that the rest of the family could get to Marvin. He stares into the air next to him with a sad smile.