Another Chess Game

A/N: Slightly cheesy and slightly cliche, but I hope you like this anyway! (yes that was meant to rhyme) ~ Cassie

I have had plenty of time recently to practice my chess skills. I know Whizzer has been playing with Jason fairly often as well, so I am determined to initiate a rematch between us so that we can see who is actually more skilled at the board game. Despite all of my attempts to bring it up, Whizzer dodges the topic, claiming that he has other things to do when he really doesn't. Even now, as we both sit on the couch enjoying our evening, he doesn't seem to want anything to do with the game.

"Come on, Whizzer," I groan, throwing myself over his lap. He scoffs indignantly, turning his head away, though he is unable to resist running a hand through my hair. "It's just one game," I moan, poking him in the side repeatedly until he gets incredibly annoyed and shoves me off of him. I panic as I fall off of the couch, hitting my head on the coffee table with a yelp.

"I'm not playing that ridiculous game with you, Marvin. If you want to do absolutely anything else, I may be willing, but not chess. I'm going to our room. You can join me there if you are done with this incessant demand," Whizzer snaps, standing up rapidly and turning to head off.

I don't reply, however, as I feel a sharp pain in my head. I open my eyes, but all I see is blackness. I slide down to the floor, feeling incredibly sick. I didn't think I hit my head that hard, but I'm plagued with a feeling of immense dizziness. I let out a sob as I feebly attempt to call for Whizzer. After a second, I hear footsteps rushing towards me, but I can't focus on them. I hear Whizzer's voice speaking to me, though it sounds like he's speaking through water.

"Marvin? Are you alright? Oh my god, you're bleeding! Come on, stay with me!" He whispers panicked. At least, I think he's whispering. He may be yelling, but I can't tell. "Charlotte? Hey, I need help. It's Marvin... yes, thank you. Marvin? Hey, it will be okay. When you get better, I'll even play a game of chess with you. I'm sorry I started this. Stay with me, baby." I black out almost instantly after.

Several hours later, I awake in a hospital room, with Whizzer fast asleep in a chair next to the bed. He looks adorable like this. His soft brown hair is messy and unkempt, along with his clothing, which is wrinkled. His shirt is completely untucked in the front and is twisted slightly so that the collar is not in the right spot. It's a bit endearing, actually. I would make fun of him for this lack of attention to style, but he only looks like this because of me, so I have nothing to say. He has his face propped up on his hand, which smushes his cheek to the side slightly. His mouth is slightly open, causing him to drool a little. Though I could stare at him sleeping for hours (not like I haven't done it before), I sigh and decide to poke him to wake him up.

"Half-Jewish!" he shouts, jolting upward. I laugh but wince when I feel a pain in my head. I move my hand up to it and feel a rough bandage wrapped over my forehead. "Marvin! You're alright! I was so worried." He moves a soft hand to my cheek, caressing it slowly.

"What happened? I mean, I remember everything, but what's going on?" I ask, hoping that my words make at least a little sense. Whizzer would definitely mock me for that. Well, maybe not like he used to, since we both decided that we should be generally kinder to each other.

"When you hit your head on the table earlier-I'm sorry for that, by the way- you cut the side of it and got a minor concussion. You needed a few stitches, thus why you are in the hospital, but you will be fine," he replies bluntly.

I attempt to stand, but I move really quickly and cause myself another wave of nausea. Whizzer pushes me back down to a seated position, and the blurriness dissipates. He helps me to my feet much more slowly, and we exit the hospital.