XIV

"Isaac, you can owe me for the rest of m' life man. Make me do anything... just not this." William pleaded over the phone.

Furiously rubbing his temples, William bit down on his lip. Blunt between his fingers, he hoped it would ease his nerves.

"Ya know I can't get near the kid, barred of that or wha'ever." The man argued. With a valid point. Not finding a proper reply, William bit his lips even harder. A minute passes, and his mind is still blank of replies.

"Nobody has to know." William mumbled quickly, and Issac groans in his ear. His internal frustration evident in the last blow of breath he gives out before completely giving up.

On the contrary side, a favor in the near future sounded bonzer in their life standards, especially from someone favorable among allies as well marked enemies here and there.

"You know... boss's gonna kill us. You'll fucking get us killed, old man." Issac swore, and William released a much needed breathe of relief. He repeatedly thanked Issac, voice rushed and hasty, ecstatic with the found consolation, ending the call with "Owe ya one, promise."

The mere thought of letting the boy go made the man's neck hairs softly quiver, along side his breath. William, unlike all the other people living under the roof of the villa, even Ethan, knew the kid was attached to the boss. Severely. Something about it felt... exceptionally ferocious, even animal-like, and that's saying a lot from a gang member who stole a soul every other day.

Why was he always the bearer of bad news? To be the one to ruin this boy's comforted sanctuary was harrowing, even to this bandit. It stirred up a memories of his own. Painful memories involved that of him explaining to his only daughter that mommy was never coming back. Or ones where he'd have to explain why he'd leave her with other men when he was not around. It overcame all commitments he had made to the gang and it's leader. Especially since Grayson freakishly reminded him of his 4 year old.

~

Continually sulking, Grayson stayed lodged in place. He waited for what felt like forever. He watched for any sign indicating the return of Ethan, playing an innocent game of stare-off with the door's keyhole.

The smell of pancakes wafted the room. Their buttery sweet notes floated through the air, but even still his stubbornness forbade him to take a bite. He groans quietly, his stomach repeatedly echoing in hunger.

Subdued voices reach his ear, heard from behind the door that held him captive. He perks up immediately, a wide grin making its way unto the once glowering face. He smiles, loving warmth filling his puerile face, peaching his cheeks and the tip of his nose, glittering the beautiful honey dip color filled in his eyes.

The doorknob rattles and Grayson's heart was already thrashing against his ribcage. Eager for any attention, his heart longing for the simple amity of the narc. But, soon his hopes are dashed, his eyes taking in a face unexpected. A previously elevated heartbeat drops, turning stone cold.

That bandit, whose name elude him. Whose face frightened him. It wasn't welcome. Burying himself deeper into the comfort of his blankets, Grayson's breathing grew erratic and strangled.

"Get up." The unwilling bandit ordered, ripping away the blanket that covered Grayson, and with it, the young boy's solace. Their eyes meet, and god could almost swear their guts twisted simultaneously. Grayson, sweetly bundled in fear. Issac, discontent pumping through his veins, evident by the heavy breathing through his nose.

"Damn your name, William." Issac mutters in frustration. Everything about this situation rubbed him in the wrong way.

The scared little boy only froze in his place. He screws his eyes shut in anticipation what is to take place. A prayer of Ethan's name echoes around his heart, a cry escaping his quivering lips. It was quickly cut off by rough arms lifting him from the warmth of his bed.