Chapter 7: A Penny For Your Laughs

Monday, 5:30 PM, Metal Building Rooftop a Block away from the Shanes' residence:

Harletta's POV: I was in an armlock with Batguy, keeping him at bay, trying to fight the least amount possible, and observing the scenario unfolding around me. I probably looked slightly cross-eyed, but I was trying to keep my focus the best I could. And out of the corner of my eye, I could see Robin, awkwardly shooting me a pleading look, as he held back Elaina by a thread.

I sighed softly within the cavern of my thoughts. Whatever, I would go easy on Batguy. I could cream him in an instant anyways. I'm not on the junior Gotham gymnastics team for nothing. Jokerino had a twinkle in his eye, though he was still very close to getting severely pummeled by Batlady, he dodged ever so slightly each time, like he wanted to tease her, playing one of his usual playful games.

But she was having none of it, batting more aggressively each time, her rage glimmering in the center of her pupils, all of her mannerisms seeming to mimic that of an angry cat. After I abandoned my train of thought, I realized that I seemed to be kind of out of breath at that particular moment.

I stopped and managed to shakily gasp out, "Break.... Truce, please."

Maybe going easy on him wasn't the best idea. I might've partially underestimated his abilities.

"Haha...." He laughed, and remarked cockily, "I thought you were so sure of yourself before?"

I debated explaining myself and saying the truth of the situation, but I realized that that would've sounded like an excuse, and it would be much more fun to surprise him, and then escape like we usually did, leaving them none the wiser.

I took one last breath of rejuvenation, before jumping right back into the action. I was trying harder this time, because I was not going to be fooled and make a fool of myself twice. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. My bright ginger red high pigtails with crimson blood red tips swished behind me, following my precise and distinct movements carefully and accurately.

I shot both Elaina and Jokerino a sneaky glance, signaling initiation for our base backup game plan. Jokerino shot me a wary and awkward one back, and Elaina shot me an understanding and sassy, (as per usual) one. I put my right hand straight out in front, stopping the conflict, and temporarily mentally stunning Batguy, distracting him enough to escape the lock.

And once my teammates saw me perform this particular action, they did the same, in turn escaping their locks/conflicts as well. The three of us slunk into the shadows and Jokerino tossed something sloppily up into the air with a croak. (From the thing, not him.) Batlady carefully caught it before it splatted onto the metal roof surface. It seemed to be, a frog?....

I franticly whispered into Jokerino's ear, "Why in the world did you throw a frog ten feet into the air?!"

"I don't know! And I think that ten feet is an exaggeration." He replied quietly and remorsefully, whilst hanging his head with a nervous look on his face.

" He replied quietly and remorsefully, whilst hanging his head with a nervous look on his face