Chapter Four} Čręåk

A) write
     B) talk
     C) escape

     "Get up, Emma," my mom shakes my shoulder roughly, "we're here."

     "I'm not going," I say groggily, my eyes still shut. Light streams in between my eyelids, making me flinch.

     "Yes you are. And don't try anything, or you'll be spending the rest of the summer with Marlee."

     My eyes fly open, my nostrils flared. "Who the fuck is Marlee?" I practically shout. My mother's eyes widen. tHe AuDaCiTy! *gasp*

     "Watch your language, young lady." She steps aside so I can get out. I can practically see steam coming out of her ears as I talk. "Now get up out of the car yourself before I take you out."

     I don't want that.

     I unbuckle my seatbelt and step onto the grass, dew seeping between my toes over the tops of my sandals. It's surprisingly green, considering the time we live in. My lawn is completely dead, and no amount of water can fix it. This is much prettier.

     I look up to see a small cottage in front of me, made up entirely of a material that looks wood. It contrasts with the grass greatly, the boards held together by very few nails. It honestly looks as if it's about to fall over. I feel like if I walk into it, the whole thing might collapse on top of me.

     We walk to the house, every step I take closer making me more and more nervous. Not that I would let my mother see that. As I near the cottage, I can see that the walls were once painted. Now the paint is so faint that you can hardly even tell it's ever been anything but solid wood. Jesus, how old is this place?

     The stairs that lead to the door creak every time even a tiny bit of weight is placed onto it. I shudder as a board groans under my feet, sinking under the weight of my mother and I. Swallowing hard, I grimace as I imagine the boards breaking and shooting splinters into my legs.

     What a wonderful way to think, am I right?

     Mother raps sharply on the door. I listen intently, but hear nothing. It's as if the house is abandoned completely.

     "Hey mom, I don't think anyone's home," I say, trying to look in through the windows. It's no use though, the drapes are pulled tightly closed.

     "She's here." No elaboration.

      Silence still buzzes from inside the cottage. "I really don't think-"

The door swings open, slamming against the inside wall before bouncing back. I jump, nearly falling down the steps. Of course my mom stays rock solid. A young woman- maybe twenty five or twenty six- stands in the doorway with a huge smile on her face. Her auburn hair is thrown up into a floppy bun, and her glasses look like they're about to fall off her nose.

"Oh my God, Roxanne?" Her jaw drops when she sees my mother, who smiles back.

     "Hey Marlee." She opens her arms for the girl, who jumps into them and laughs.

"Gosh, Roxy, I haven't seen you in like three years! What's up?" Marlee exclaims, pushing her glasses up her nose. Her bright green eyes light up with joy, the dark circles that line them disappearing under her frames.

     "Well this is my daughter, Emma. You remember her, don't you?" My mother puts her hand between my shoulderblades, pushing me lightly toward Marlee. I plant my feet on the ground, squeezing my shoulders together so she lets go of me. No way in hell I'm smiling.

     "Do I? Wow, Emma. You're so big now! The last time I saw you I must have been your age." Marlee grins at me. "You're like fifteen now, right?"