26. | ocean of sadness

"How many minutes till we're finally there?" I ask Reed, feeling my eyelids getting heavier due to the lack of sleep in these past couple of nights

We've been in this car for nearly two hours and we haven't exchanged a single word, both wandering off in our own thoughts. I stare out of the window as we pass by areas I've never been in before.

"We'll be there in about 30 minutes." he replies, taking his eyes off the road to quickly glance at me. "Why?"

"Because I don't want to end up falling asleep." I yawn as I straighten my back and reach out to turn the volume of the radio up. "Can't risk getting either kidnapped or killed."

He coughs at this and shifts uncomfortably in his seat. "Do you really think of me that way now?"

"Are you surprised about that?" I glare at him as I shake my head. "Can you blame me though? I don't know anything anymore Reed, I can't trust my own blood to begin with." I sigh, answering truthfully, "How am I supposed to not think like that about a person who helped blaming my mother's death on an innocent teenager?"

His story was unexpected, and it did make me look at him in a different light. I can't imagine what I would have done in his place. I like to believe I would have denied and found another way to protect myself and my loved ones. But one can never know unless they actually are put in this kind of situation.

I'm glad he told me, but I don't owe him thankful behavior, or anything really. He should not have done it in the first place. He did it, due to circumstances and dumb decisions, but also fear for his own life and his family. But he could have at least tried making up for it by speaking to me earlier, or by not treating Ethan like shit for the past several years he's been imprisoned. He nods, not going in further on this topic as we both stay silent after that for the remainder of the ride.

A few minutes before arriving, I'm reminded of the fact that Lexi has no clue of where I've been hanging out so I decide to call her, mentally preparing myself to get lectured and yelled at.

She takes the phone after the second ring and I can hear her inhale, probably to yell her lungs out at me. I put it on speaker and remove the phone from my ear, not eager to deafen myself.

Before she gets the chance, I start. "I know you feel like pulling my hair out one by one and most likely kill me, but please don't. I'm getting closer to finding evidence for Ethan's sake."

"I was worried sick you idiot! And I need my best friend so I won't kill you," she breathes out, "but I think your dad might. He came looking for you on damn campus and I just made up a dumb excuse to save your sorry ass."

My mouth takes the shape of an o as I turn off the radio completely. "Why was he looking for me and what is my excuse?" I can't have him knowing I know Reed's story, I know about the bunker. He'll follow us here into the middle of nowhere.