keeping secrets ➳ steve rogers

Honesty and loyalty. They were what you and Steve both valued in your relationship, and they were what you had broken. An opportunity had been offered to prove your worth as an Avenger, and you'd taken it, with a single catch - Steve couldn't know. You had reluctantly agreed, and returned from the mission a few weeks later with a bullet in your shoulder and a few broken ribs. It was bad enough that you hadn't told Steve about the mission, but now he was forced to help you look after your injuries. And, understandably, he was pissed off.

"Steve? Talk to me."

But his eyes were fixed on your injuries, and once he'd finished, Steve escaped into the bathroom. Leaving you in your shared bedroom, waiting for him. But Steve was taking a long time, and sleep was inevitable.

And you awoke with a start, to fingers in your hair. Steve's eyes were sorrowful, and he whispered an apology as his fingers stilled. "I should've listened to you."

You suddenly couldn't meet his eyes. "No, it's my fault. I should've told you about the mission, but I didn't. I broke your trust."

"That's not fair, doll. You did what you thought was right."

"But I broke your trust, I... I lied to you-"

"Yes, you lied. But this mission was about proving yourself, and I know it meant a lot to you. That's what matters. And you didn't break my trust in you, baby." He pressed a kiss to your neck. "Just... let me know next time, okay? I don't want to wake up without you again."

You smiled, intertwining your fingers with his.