Eight

Another great cover by Sgt_Pepper1998 😍💙

Thank you so much Sgt_Pepper1998 @cherryshop juandresmith18 Ashleighmitch18 for supporting this story 😍💙💚

A/N: I popped back to Chapter Seven to check on a couple of things I'd written about... and my gosh I cringed at the consistent typos towards the end of the chapter 😱😱😱 so... I've edited Chapter Seven and there's been a few little plot mentions that I also altered 😉 in case you're not interested in going back to review the whole chapter just to find out...
1. Where I said Benjie ordered Zander to go back to 'his' house with him, I changed it that Benjie said to go to Arian's house - and Zander elaborated in his head that Benjie and his Wife Leah are having some problems that Benjie won't talk about!
2. I switched the Dyslexic brother from being Elliot to being Darwin.
I think that was just about it 🤔

Chapter Eight

Insomnia is truly a heartless Bitch.
A part of me used to believe that Zander just wasn't trying hard enough to sleep.
Now, I understood.
Around me, the House was silent.
The only noise was the drone from the radio I had on at a low volume because the eerie silence wasn't helping my anxious feeling's.
And the gentle sizzle of my pancake cooking away in the frying pan.
Satisfied that it was ready, I slipped the spatula end under the golden brown circular treat and eased the mouthwatering goodness out of the hot pan.
What made me have the urge at 4:30 in the morning to have Pancakes, I had no clue.
I set the second Pancake (because the first is always average, I'd cooked it up and divided it into three for Knox, Brax and Sledge) onto my awaiting plate.
I'm no Masterchef, so I turned the heat off on the stove top and turned back to put some topping on my Pancake and eat it before I worried about cooking another.
Knowing my luck, I'd probably burn the crap out of the second one because I was distracted by dressing the current one and eating it.
I grabbed the tub of Greek Yoghurt off the counter and popped the lid off.
Tongue tingling in curious anticipation, I grabbed a tablespoon and plopped a couple of generous dollop's of the thick Yoghurt onto the middle of my warm Pancake.
Then I pushed the Yoghurt aside and grabbed the packet of Sultanas.
I sprinkled a small handful of the shrivelled little ugly thing's on top of the Yoghurt and my belly rumbled.
Mmm mmmmm mmmmmmmm.
I pushed the Sultanas packet aside and picked up my knife and fork.
Time to test out my new creation!
"What are you doing?"
I squealed and leapt back from the Kitchen bench, my heart positively pounding inside my chest.
It felt like the damn organ might just explode!
The knife and fork clattered to the tiled floor and I clutched at my chest, staring wide eyed toward's the entrance that led off the Lounge Room where Keegan oh so casually lounged, his left shoulder propped against the frame.
"Sorry."
My next older Brother apologised, a frown pulling his brow down.
"I came around this way 'coz I thought you at least might see me..."
Sucking in a shaky breath and easing myself down with trembling knee's, I picked my cutlery up off the Kitchen floor.
"What are you doing up?"
I asked, the wobble in my voice audible even to my own ear's as I straightened and made my way back to the bench.
Keegan raised a questioning brow.
"I could ask the same about you."
Shit.
I looked around the Kitchen and over my shoulder, in the direction of the bathroom and bedroom's, then turned back to my Brother.
"Did I wake you up?"
"No."
Keegan pushed off from the archway frame and stepped toward's the Kitchen.
"I'm goin' for a Dawnie."
He explained.
"Zander didn't tell you?"
It was my turn to frown.
"Whyyyyy would Zander tell me about what you're doing?"
"Because he's going too?"
Oh.
I dropped my gaze to my early Breakfast.
"I thought he would've told ya."
Keegan stated, voice quiet.
Guess not.
Though, Zander had over a month of not having to tell me what his plans were...
And last night I'd been an emotional mess and told him to leave me alone.
I couldn't say that the lack of communication was necessarily all Zander's fault.
And besides, there was nothing in the Rule Book that said he had to tell me his every move.
Especially if it involved going for a Surf.
"What's... with your Pancake topping's?"
I pulled my eyes off my Breakfast that was slowly going cold, to look at my next older Brother's confused face.
"It was calling to me."
I explained, rearranging my cutlery into a position ready to cut into the meal.
I decided to pretend I didn't notice Keegan's expression that clearly said he was worried about my mental state.
Biting gently into my bottom lip, I cut into the pancake, ensuring to get Yoghurt and a couple of Sultanas with the mouthful.
Satisfied and with my taste bud's tingling, I popped the forkful into my mouth.
Yes!
Just what I'd been hoping for.
I chewed, swallowed and offered Keegan a smile.
"Here! Try some! It really is good!"
He eyed the masterpiece on my plate like it was a two headed, poisonous Snake.
"I... don't think so..."
He denied, shaking his head.
"Oh c'mon!"
I rolled my eyes and cut another slightly smaller mouthful.
Raising a questioning brow, I held the fork out pointedly toward's my dubious looking Brother.
His reluctance was clear as glass.
But he didn't know what he was missing out on!
"C'mon!"
I insisted.
Very nearly grimacing, Keegan gingerly took the fork from my hand.
I saw him literally hold his breath as he lifted the tidbit of food to his mouth.
He popped the mouthful in and I grinned, fully expecting to see his pleasantly surprised appreciation.
But, my weirdo Brother's blue eyes popped wide open and his tanned face scrunched up.
I frowned.
Keegan ran to the bin that was standing beside the fridge and spat into the plastic bag lined container.
Then he yanked the fridge door open and grabbed a bottle of Coke out of the shelf inside the door.
With quick, jerky movements, he twisted the top off, then literally sculled from the 2Litre bottle.
I shook my head.
"You're strange."
"No!"
Keegan turned around quickly, his eyes still wide.
"You are weird!"
He declared.
"Who the hell put's Yoghurt and Sultanas on Pancakes?"
A stab of hurt hit me straight in the middle of my chest.
"Well... to me it tastes good."
I muttered, turning back to my snack.
"I'm not sure that I'm ever gonna get that taste outta my mouth!"
Keegan complained.
I grabbed the fork he'd dropped onto the bench and cut myself a second mouthful.
Keegan was wrong.
The concoction was delicious!