| THREE |

I ended up hanging out with the four boys for a few hours after meeting them. They were extremely fun if you could dismiss the terrifying aura they carried. David was the first one I was introduced to. He was the leader, it seemed, with spiked, blond hair and the best sense of fashion out of all of them. He didn't speak much, but when he did, he was extremely comedic.

The second one was Marko, the one Paul had been racing through the boardwalk when he ran into me. Marko was extremely sexual, to say the least, but never enough to make me uncomfortable, just enough make me blush a bright red and stutter over my words. He and Paul were always touching somehow – an arm thrown around a shoulder, holding hands, maybe just walking a bit too close so they would bump into each other. They were as close as I had ever seen friends be.

The last was Dwayne. Dwayne had long, dark hair, he didn't wear a shirt, and he didn't speak a word. At first, I thought he may have just been ignoring me. Maybe, he simply didn't like new people; it wasn't like I could blame him. Still, after being around them for a few minutes, I realized, he just didn't talk to anyone. I think I saw him pull David to the side once or twice, but overall, he just followed us around and people-watched. It was a nice change of pace from Paul and Marko who loved to talk and talk and talk without ever seeming to take a break.

When I had finally made my way home, just in time for the last bus, my mother met me at the door and yelled at me for being out so late. I didn't understand that considering she told me to be out past at least ten. She hadn't given me a time to get home by. I didn't bother to argue though, I just accepted that I wouldn't be going out again tonight, confined to the space of my room.

With nothing to pass the time, I found myself sleeping most of the day, sneaking down to the kitchen to snag a few snacks now and then, and drawing. I wasn't any good at drawing, but it slowed my boredom.

I swung my legs and hummed along with the music playing through my headphones. After the sun had set, I found myself seated on my windowsill, enjoying the cold the night brought me. My cassette player and headphones were two of the few things that had survived the fire, and I was mighty grateful for them now, even with the fact that I only had about four different albums to listen to.

I was completely immersed in myself when I heard the sound of a few twigs snapping, loud enough that I was able to hear it over the yelling in my headphones. I looked up quickly and sucked in a breath as I made eye contact with a few masked figures standing at the edge of the woods. They were here.

The one upfront, leading the few people in the group, it seemed, donned a bright fox mask. They all would have blended into the trees with their dark attire if it wasn't for those damned masks. I pulled off my headphones and leaned forward a bit as one of the people – this one in a mask depicting a deer - reached their arm out towards me, a gesture to take his hand, inviting me to join them. I subconsciously shook my head, scooting back a bit. The deer lowered its hand, and everything went still for a few moments.

My brain went ballistic, trying to figure out what to do, and before I realized what I was doing, I was speaking, my voice a hushed whisper so I didn't wake the others in the house. I wasn't sure how thick the walls were, after all. "Were you the ones who did it," I questioned, placing my feet on the roof and standing completely? The wind whipped past me, reminding me that I was only in pajama pants and a sports bra. "Were you the ones who burnt down my house?"

They didn't move, staring at me. I figured I might as well give up. The only times they had ever done anything besides stand there was the night of the fire, but now, I knew they could move. They could talk – or sing, I suppose. They could do more than just stare at me.

"You did, didn't you," I found myself saying. "You did it, and you won't even fucking admit it." My voice was rising as I began freaking out. "Were you trying to kill me? Hurt me? Why did you fucking do that?"

The fox took a step forward, and I took a step back. I felt the glass of my window on my back only with the thick vines that clung to the house.

"Are you going to do it again?" This sentence was so quiet I doubt they would even be able to hear me if they wanted to. "Are you going to hurt my family?"

The fox began to move its head, but I didn't see what he did as I turned at the sound of a knock on my bedroom door followed by the sweet sound of my aunt's voice. "Ivarella? Are you okay in there?" When I turned back to the tree line, they were gone. "Ivarella?"

I took an unsteady breath. I could feel my heartbeat in my throat as I climbed back into my room, striding up to the door and opening it quickly. "Hey," I said, my voice as unsteady as my breathing. "I'm sorry, did I wake you up?"

"Uhm, no." She shook her head slowly before peering around me into my room. "Were you talking to someone?"

"No, no, no, I was- I was reading out loud to clear my head. It's a dramatic book, and I think I might have gotten a bit too in character." She didn't seem convinced by my lie, but she didn't push it any farther.

"Well, alright, don't worry. I do the same thing too sometimes. I have plenty of books downstairs; you're free to use them whenever you want." She ran her hands down her pants, clearing off dust. "Your mother and I decided to go on a trip a few towns over. I'm introducing her to a few friends, and we'll probably be staying for a few nights. Of course, I want to hang out with you as much as I can, but my friends are dying to meet her, and my son's in college down there. We'll only be gone for about three days. I figured you'd be okay to stay here alone, right?" I nodded. "Good, I've stocked up the fridge, and I let a bit of money in case you want to go down to the boardwalk again. I won't tell your mother that, of course." She laughed a bit and tapped the wall beside her.

"That sounds cool. I'm sure I can take care of myself and the house."

We fell into silence for a bit before she let out a long sigh. "Alright, well, I'm going to head to bed. It's eleven, and we have to be up early tomorrow to beat traffic. Try not to stay up too late."

"Yes ma'am. Sleep good, and I'll see y'all later."

"Of course. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," I said, shutting the door quietly before taking a deep breath. I turned and walked across the room, shutting the window and closing the curtains. "Fuck," I grumbled, throwing myself onto my bed.