Chapter 16 (Edited)

I was running, faster and faster, with something chasing after me. I was out of breath, and my heart was pounding harder than it had ever been. I kept turning around a corner, trying to confuse them.

However, they kept getting closer and closer to me.

  I was getting too tired. All my energy was getting drained out of me. However, I didn't know why I was getting so tired.

I was screaming for help, but no one came to my rescue. It was as if I wasn't being heard by anyone at all.

The things behind me chuckled. "No one can help you now, Almair," they said. Their voices were as thick as smoke.

"Help!" I screamed.

"Martha, Martha," the voices said, getting closer. I was starting to be shaken. "Martha, wake up!" the voice said.

I started crying. I was so scared. I kept running, but it didn't help they were still following me.

There was a cliff. I tried to stop, but I couldn't. I fell into total darkness...

...and I woke up, staring up into the face of my mom.

"Martha, are you alright?" she asked. Her black hair was sprawled everywhere, as if I had woken her up. She looked at me worried, wondering how I was.

I was shaking. I wasn't fine. That dream had scared me. I didn't know what to do and what it meant. All I knew was that something bad would happen.

"How's Pussy..." Mike said coming in the room with Nick coming in behind him.

"...Cat doing?" Nick finished, asking what Mike had started.

"Michael Buck Johnson! Nicholas Josh Johnson!" Mom said, turning to look at them. She glared at them, frowning.

"Mo-om," Mike and Nick complained.

If I wasn't too scared, then I would have laughed at them. Both Mike and Nick didn't like their middle names. I was still shivering, whimpering. I couldn't help myself. That nightmare scared me.

"Did you have a bad dream?" she asked, turning her attention back to me.

I nodded my bottom lip shaking. "I-I was r-r-running... running a-a-a-way f-f-f-from something..." I said still shaking. My voice was shaking.

"It's alright. You are safe now." She moved a hand through my hair, smiling at me.

"Mom," John said, coming into the room. He frowned, looking at where she was sitting on my bed. Something in his voice made me tense up automatically, even though I was still shaking.

"What is it, John?" she asked.

He just frowned and gestured to the door, signalling that they needed to talk privately.

"If it is something about me, then please tell me," I said, getting rather annoyed but gaining control over my voice. If I wasn't shaking so bad, then I would've glared at them, letting them feel my annoyance.

  "You won't like what I have to say," he said. He was tired, and I could sense it.

I tried to set my trembling jaw, in the stubborn way that I usually did, but it didn't work. It still trembled, because I could still feel that fear of falling and being chased. "I don't like to be the last one to know these things. I'm supposed to be this big shot, but I'm being treated like the baby."

"It's sometimes for your own safety," he replied. "That we don't tell you these things."

"John, she's right. She needs to know this stuff, since she was already orientated into the pack," Mom said. She moved a hand through my hair and sighed. "She's ready."