∞ | Chapter 2 | ∞

∞ | Vengeance is sweet. Vengeance taken when the vengee isn't sure who the venger is, is sweeter still. - Gary D. Schmidt (The Wednesday Wars) | ∞

* * * *

All Rights Reserved ©

∞ | Chapter 2 | ∞

* * * *

Waters of Aurora; December 230

Sera found herself dreaming again—a dream that she hadn't had in awhile.

"Sera, run!"

"...We're getting out of here, I swear it. Once we do, let's be friends out there as well. From one Gifted to another—"

"...They're coming for us, aren't they?"

"I can't let you sacrifice your lives for me—"

"Can it. You've done so much for us. This is the least we could do—"

"—But whatever it is, it doesn't matter anymore. Not any longer. One more battle. This will be the night that Blade fights our final battle. But you'll always be my best friends—"

Sera jerked awake when she felt a touch on her shoulder. Acting on pure instinct ingrained within her for years; she reached up and grabbed the hand.

When she'd finally opened her eyes and blinked the sleep out of it, she saw a startled Kailey standing in front of her, half pulled over due to Sera having a firm grip on her wrist. Sera stared at Kailey for just a moment before she released her hold.

"...Sorry."

Kailey winced, rubbing at her wrist. "Remind me not to wake you in the future," she said weakly. "Anyway, Neil said that we're getting close to Aurora, and that I should wake you."

"...Okay." Sera murmured, sitting up in the sofa that she'd fallen asleep on. Kailey only gave Sera a look of concern before leaving; presumably going to find her twin brother who is currently steering the boathouse that they're in. Sera pinched the bridge of her nose to ease her headache. "...Zest..." Sera murmured to herself.

* * * *

There was a slight drizzle even as Neil carefully steered the boathouse and pulled it in at the docks of Aurora, with Sera throwing a rope around the anchor point at the dock, securing it in place. Due to the rain and the time of the night, hardly anyone is around on the streets of Aurora—a fact that all three were thankful for.

Neil and Kailey watched even as they stood outside the modest blue and white boathouse even as Sera turned off the lights within and locked it securely before joining them, already pulling up the hood of her jacket over her head—an action that both Kailey and Neil mimicked.

Kailey turned back to look at the boathouse gently bobbing about on the waves of the sea even as she followed Sera to wherever it is that she's taking them to.

She still can't believe how much her life has changed in just the course of a month.

Neil and Kailey were both very surprised when they'd first seen the boathouse that they'll most likely be living in for the next couple of months or years even when Sera had taken them to the docks of Zephys.