iii

she holds her gaze, fixing her eyes carefully on the boy. he stares back, not knowing how to feel about a stranger walking up to him and his personal thoughts.

the female analyzes him. he was dressed in a ivory jacket, he had jet black pants and boots and angel white opera gloves. he also had a mask that covered half of his face which made him at least ten times more mysterious and charming. he looked as if he came straight out of a fairytale.

"greetings and salutations.", the male says with a smile as he rises and bows.

"g-good evening.", she replies, adding a quick curtsey. "what are you doing all alone on a night like this?"

the raven sighs before giving the stranger a weak smile. "it's nothing. being in the palace is just challenging.."

"in what way?", the brunette questions, she places herself next to the male and he then gives her a small smile.

"you're quite the nosy one, aren't you?", he laughs as he stand up. the brunette frowns, knowing that she just sat down before she reaches to his hand as he pulls her up and onto her feet. he observes his hand as if she's never seen a hand in her life then gazes into his eyes. "you're here for the ball, right? i'll take you in and we can chat there."

"quite the gentlemen, aren't you?", she teases, sending a loving smile as she releases her grip from the bigger hand, embracing the newly made bond that they've never felt before.

he brings the fair maiden to the grand entrance where the guards rest at their post. they immediately recognize the prince in azure but the not the stranger in ivory. the two halt to a stop, waiting for the secretary to open the doors. instead, the two older men kept their eye on the mysterious stranger.

"ah, you must be wondering who this is.", brendon says, rubbing his neck. "this is lady - uhm..-"

"lady ryanne. ryanne rose, i am pleased to be here.", the brunette says with a smile.

"please excuse my poor mannerism.", the raven falsely apologizes, it was on his behalf for not bothering to ask for her name. he was too mesmerized by her beauty that he got lost in his own troubled thoughts.

he reaches for the brunette's hand, their hands intertwining as they formed one. "uh - lady ryanne, ryanne rose, is with me."

the two men look at each other and nod as if they could read each other's minds. they open the doors, bowing respectfully at the two as they walk.

"we're sorry for doubting you your highness.", the one on the left speaks first.

"yes. with all due respect, we didn't mean to offend you in any way.", the one on the right adds on. "may you and lady ryanne have a pleasant night."

the duo exchange smiles, ryanne takes a mental note of how charming the boy's smile was.

"don't worry, there's no need to apologize.", he reassures the two. "and thank you."

they continue to walk hand in hand into the ballroom. the brunette couldn't stop staring at the taller male, she continues to study his features. he had a nice jawline, his forehead was pretty wide but it was cute (in her opinion).

"is there something on my face or is it my irresistible beauty?"

"it's mainly your forehead. it's so wide, it's full of secrets and wisdom. and 'poor mannerism?'", she manages to choke out. "really 'your majesty?'", she lets a giggle escape her lips, causing the raven's heart to skip a beat. mainly because the giggle was plain down adorable and that it reminded him of someone he used to know.

"i-it isn't that wide! and, well, yeah, it hides all of my secrets to being so handsome. i also have a name like everyone in this room", he retorts playfully. "it's brendon.. brendon urie to be exact."

"prince brendon? the brendon urie? colour me stoked, you're just the guy i wanted to see tonight.", ryanne smirks with a suggestive wink.

"all the ladies say that. they just want to get into my pants.", brendon states.

they stay quiet for a split second before bursting into laughter. it didn't exactly roar across the room but it was loud enough for some people to notice. it caught the majority of the guests' attention, including queen urie herself. she hasn't seen her son smile so widely since he was fifteen, or maybe she didn't pay enough attention to brendon. her majesty calls out to her husband, pointing to where their son was standing. the king's eyes widen then soften as a smile appeared on his face. he rushes down the flight of stairs and slowly makes his way through the crowd.

the music continues to play as it was soon accompanied by mumbles from the maidens in their imperfect ballgowns. even with their uncoordinated coloured masks, the eyeholes were big enough for them to see the prince and the stunning girl in white.

"i don't understand why the guards didn't trust me at first.", ryanne admits. "i'm all dressed up and i followed the balls' dress code, i didn't show up in a jumpsuit or anything considered 'improper'. they looked at me as if i was an alien from outer space!"

"i do find it strange for so many guards to be out on duty tonight. maybe there's been a change of plans, my father probably told them to be on the look-out for any suspicious.", brendon explains. ryanne places a hand on the male's shoulder as hazel meets chocolate eyes.

"trust me bren'-", brendon blushes at his new nickname. "-no one would ever want to hurt you. asides, you should just stay out of the light and you'll be fine."

"you're right ry', no one would be able to come in without an invite. i mean, with an exception of you, you came in with me", brendon sends a smile as she beams one back. "you're practically an angel on earth, just without the wings."

"so a human?"

"yeah. a human.", brendon smiles, looking at the glossy floor. his head perks up, realizing that literally everyone's eye was on him. not exactly on him but at his sides, he looks down and realizes that he was still holding ryanne's hand. 

he blushes but enjoys the warmth that coursed through his veins. the same feeling he felt when he was with his old friend.

"ah my son, where have you been?", the king questions, pulling brendon in for a hug. ryanne giggles for the fifth time this night, the prince mentally curses her giggle for being so damn familiar. the king catches the female at the corner of his eye, he gently shoves brendon aside and examines ryanne.

"good evening your highness. it's a pleasure to meet you.", she says with another curtsey.

"brendon, who is this maiden?", the king demands, keeping his gaze on her.

"father, this is lady ryanne.", the prince introduces her as she waves.

"son, may i have a word with you..", he glances over to brendon then back to ryanne. "..alone?"

"uhm.. sure father.", the raven turns to ryanne. "i'll be back ry', stay put and don't leave."

ryanne nods and waves as brendon gest dragged along by the king. he follows the ruler to an empty hall, where the waltz music was faint and couldn't be heard anymore. 

"father, i don't think anyone can hear us from here.", brendon says, stopping in the middle of the hall. "i don't understand. what is it that you want to talk about?"

the weary king sighs. "that girl gives me a feeling. a strong feeling that is she is bad. that she is dangerous and not for you."

"wh-what do you mean?!", brendon exclaims, looking extremely taken-back. "i thought you wanted me to find someone! that's why this masquerade ball was set up, right?"

"yes but please hear me out brendon--"

"no! i just want to enjoy tonight without any of you or mother's nagging orders!!", brendon snaps. "i thought you would be proud of me for finding someone to talk to! well i guess i thought wrong. all these years, you decided that you were suddenly in control of my life! well, i'm done with all that shit! i'm back in control and you know what father?! i'm going to have the time of my night with ryanne!!"

and just like, that brendon returned to the party.

back to where ryanne rose was waiting for him.