Chapter Six

The Biology classes at Forks High School were heading on a field trip today, going to a greenhouse to learn about compost. It sounded relatively boring to Melinda but her friends were excited to go. Mike and Eric were eager to play with the worms.

Melinda showed up at school wearing a green rain jacket and black ankle length rubber boots. She could hear the squeak of windshield wipers behind her as they scrapped against Cindy's rain speckled front window.

"Have a good time!" Cindy called through the passenger window, waving as Melinda turned around.

"See you later, Cindy." Melinda replied, watching the Acura as it pulled away. The redhead then turned to face the front of the school where two yellow buses were parked. Melinda scanned the crowd of students as she walked over to the buses, not having much luck with finding someone she knew. She didn't see Bella, Jessica, Angela, Mike, or Eric and was starting to wonder if maybe they were already on one of the buses. Relief washed over Melinda as she noticed the blonde hair of Edward Cullen as he walked up the stairs of a bus and into the vehicle. Melinda made her way over, stepping onto the bus.

About half of the grey booths were full and Melinda noticed Edward two of his siblings in the middle of the bus. Melinda started walking down the aisle, catching the eye of Jasper who sat on the end of one seat, beside Alice. Edward was squished against the wall of the bus. The honey blonde haired boy didn't hesitate to shift to the empty seat across the aisle with Alice following him. Melinda felt all six golden eyes on her as she approached the now empty seat beside Edward.

"Do you-," she started to say but was cut off by Edward.

"You can sit there." He blurted, almost as if he knew exactly what she was going to ask.

"Thanks." Melinda quickly replied before sitting down. She stared straight ahead at the cracked leather, very aware of Edward's presence beside her. The boy took up more room now that his siblings were gone, and the two teenagers were so close that Melinda could feel his arm hair against her freckled pale skin. Edward's breathing was shallow, his nose whistling softly every time he exhaled. It was all Melinda could focus on and barely processed the sudden voice in her ears as Edward spoke to her.

"Are you excited for this trip?" The boy asked, glancing down at Melinda who was about half his size. She was short and skinny compared to his tall and muscular frame.

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. I think it'll be fun. Biology isn't really my favourite subject though." Melinda replied, chewing on the inside of her cheek. She only hoped that Edward couldn't hear how loud her heart was thumping in her chest. She didn't know why she was so nervous, but something about being so close to Edward made her stomach tighten with butterflies. They weren't in a class room anymore and she couldn't distract herself with work if things got awkward.

"What is your favourite subject?" Edward asked. He hadn't looked away yet and Melinda didn't even think he was blinking.

"English. It's what I'm good at." Melinda said as she gazed past Edward and out the window beside him. The buses were leaving the school, which meant Melinda was stuck with the Cullen boy for the next half an hour.

Edward hummed in response. "You are good at that."

"Thanks." Melinda stated for the second time. Feeling the threat of an awkward silence, she tried to carry the conversation along. "I guess your other two siblings are about as interested in Biology as I am." She pointed out, noticing the absence of two Cullens.

"Alice and Jasper love Biology, but if you're referring to Rosalie and Emmett, then you're right. They're not fans of Biology. Emmett likes Physics, but that's the only science class you'll catch him alive in." Edward explained, chuckling softly.