Chapter 5

Place: Unknown 

Date: Unknown 

Year: Unknown 

The passage widened. One minute they were shuffling sideways through a tight corridor of rough-hewn rock, the next they found it falling away. Now they stood in a V-shaped opening, and beyond, an expansive plain of flat, white ground lay before them.

"Is this a salt flat?" Cade said, unable to take his eyes from the shimmering expanse. "I saw one on a documentary once." It was almost identical to the one he had seen all those years ago, stretching endlessly into the horizon, the crystals that coated its surface glimmering in the dusk glow. The dry heat seemed to suck the very moisture from Cade's skin. 

Cade turned as Eric grunted with surprise. They had walked out of one of three identical passages, all converging on the opening they now stood in.

"Look," Eric said, pointing at the wall on their left side. To Cade's amazement there was a basin there, carved into the rock itself, protruding from its wall like a shallow bath- tub. As they approached, they saw the barest trickle of water seeping into the receptacle from the cliff above, and within, a still pool waited for them.

Both immediately began slurping cupped handfuls of the lukewarm liquid into their dry mouths, gulping it down until their bellies sloshed full to bursting, then drinking some more.

It was heavenly, and for the briefest moment Cade could think of nothing else. He hadn't realized just how thirsty he had been.

"Save some for us, would you?" a voice called from behind.

Cade spun, only to find himself looking at the gap-toothed grin of a scrawny ginger kid. He wore the same uniform, and he held a hand axe.

"I'm as thirsty as a hungover camel," the kid continued.

Beyond, Cade spotted a second kid peering at him from the shadows of the passage they had emerged from, another bloodied hand axe in his hand.

"Scott," the first kid said, giving Cade's hand a cursory shake before scooping up a handful of water for himself. "And this is Yoshi."

He leaned in conspiratorially and mumbled through a mouthful.

"But don't mention Mario Kart, okay? He doesn't like that."

Cade backed away as Scott dipped his head into the basin like a horse at a trough. He watched as the water level fell with each heave of his shoulders.

Yoshi approached, his face dark with foreboding—a grim contrast to the smiling Scott. Yoshi was new to the school, and Cade knew little about him. His hair was thick, styled in a sweeping wave, with sharp cheekbones and a thin mouth beneath.

The boy sidled out of the shadows.