Chapter 6

I go back to the table and sit. I don't quite feel like dancing just yet. I'm no more than a quarter of the way through my beer while I'm playing with my phone when a guy comes over to my table. "Hello, baby. Sitting alone?"

I look up at him and my skin crawls a bit. Nobody calls me 'baby' except Marla. I hate this. I can already tell the guy is much older than I am. I guess it is to be expected, but it still feels demeaning.

"Not alone, got friends on the dance floor waiting for me to finish this beer."

"Oh," the guy says, looking unconvinced. "Sure you won't like some company?"

He's lucky Marla isn't here. She would have shooed him off already. I'm just not good at this. I lift the glass and chug the whole thing. I then slam it down on the table and say, "Nope. Gotta dance. See ya." I get up and walk towards the dance floor.

I get almost there and look around to make sure I'm not being followed or watched, then I head back to the bar.

This time, the hot daddy looks at me and says, "We meet again."

"Yeah," I say as I smile at him. I am little flushed after downing that last beer so quickly, or maybe it's him. I can't tell.

He breaks eye contact with me again, without a smile, and looks back to his beer. Am I doing something wrong? He seems rather cold. I suddenly become a tad irritated. Does he see me as a kid who's annoying? Well, I order my beer and head back to the table.

I sit at the table, playing with my phone again, and powering through my third beer. I suddenly have this powerful urge to go back and see what's up with this guy, and that's precisely what I do. I chug the last half of the beer and go back for more.

This time I smile at him and he smiles back. I'm so confused. I order another beer and inwardly laugh at myself as this guy must think I'm an alcoholic. I want to say something to him, but I don't even know where to start. Reluctantly, I head back.

I return to the table and Marla and Josie are back.

"Thought you were gonna dance with us," Josie says.

Marla snorts. "He's probably been too busy chasing his daddy."

"I was not chasing my daddy!" I protest. Then I start laughing at Marla's joke.

"Here we go," Marla smirks. "Baby, how many have you had already?"

"This is only my fourth," I innocently answer with a big grin.

"Damn, I haven't even finished my first," Marla says with a laugh.

"Then hurry and drink up and I'll get us some more." I start to chug my glass of beer as Marla and Josie both look at me and then each other.

"Okay, but slow down," Marla warns.

"Yes, mother," I say with a smirk and then bust up laughing.

The three of us sat there telling jokes and laughing. I've been told that I laugh a lot when I'm drunk, that I let my guard down and let people in. I wish I could be like this more often; unguarded, not drunk. Marla finishes her glass and mine is already gone. I stand up, a little woozy, but still good to go.

"Baby, you gonna be okay?" Marla asks with concern.

"Yup, no problem," I reply. "I'll get us another round." I turn to walk to the bar. I'm feeling pretty damn good right now. And another chance to check out daddy. Wait, what am I thinking? Damn that Marla.

I walk up to the bar. I smile at him and he smiles at me. I feel my heart warm up when he smiles at me, or it could just be the beer. I order another beer for myself and one for Marla. It's my birthday, I'm going to get wasted. After a bit, my beers arrive and I take them off to the table.

My fifth beer sat there, untouched for now. My stomach is telling me that there's just too much and I have to wait for some room to be made for more beer. My head is definitely swimming. Marla and Josie wanted to do more dancing, so they drag me out to the dance floor.

We dance for a long time before I have to go pee. I excuse myself and go to the restroom. When I get out of the restroom, I look up at the bar and notice that the spot where the daddy was sitting is suddenly vacant. It looks like him and his friend left. I suddenly felt dejected. Drunk, and dejected.