Chapter 10

I sit there for a minute, wondering what the hell has gotten into Marla tonight. I sigh. I wouldn't blame James if he got up right now and walked out. He's sitting at the kiddie's table tonight. He must be so uncomfortable.

"Marla is a nuisance," I say with a chuckle. I don't know what I'm laughing at, perhaps the absurdity of this situation.

"Sounds like a good friend though," James says.

"Yeah, been friends with them since high school. They're the only gay friends I have."

A silence develops between us. James looks back to his beer and drinks more.

I don't do well with uncomfortable silence, so I try to break it up a bit. "I'm glad you came. It gets lonely watching those two being all lovey-dovey."

"Marla and Josie?" he asks.

"Yup." Who else would I be talking about?

"Well, I may be a creepy old guy, but I can be one of your gay friends—if you want another," James says with a laugh. For one, this is the lamest thing I've ever heard anyone say, two, I'm still sorry I said 'creepy old guy,' and three, one of the nicest and most sincere things I've heard any guy say to me in a long time.

I look at him and smile. "Thanks" was all I could think to say. I look to his glass and see that he needs a refill. "Let me get you another beer," I say to him. I owe him this at least for the thoughtless comment I made earlier.

I get up and go to the bar. As I stand there waiting for my order, I start thinking. A friend? What do I want from this guy? I'm so much younger than him. What could I possibly have to talk to him about that wouldn't seem juvenile? He's probably done so much more than me that he would just look at me like a naive little child. Not to mention that's how Marla treats me, right in front of him. That didn't go over well.

My thoughts were interrupted by the beer order. I grab the two glasses and return to the table. James is still there. For some reason, a part of me expected to come back to an empty table. I sit the beer in front of him and sit down. I wasn't sure what he was drinking earlier, so I just picked something random that sounded good.

I take a long drink of my beer then figure I had better set one thing right tonight so the whole thing won't be a fucking waste. "Sorry about the creepy old man comment earlier."

James takes a drink of his beer and says, "Don't worry about it."

That uncomfortable silence starts up again. I just don't know what to talk about with him. School? Sounds juvenile. Video Games? Juvenile. Work? Well that's boring. It suddenly feels like I'm sitting next to one of my college professors, trying to think of something intellectual to say. I'm so stupid. What made me think this was going to work?

Marla and Josie return and sit down. I am glad the silence will be broken, but by what is the thing that worries me.

"Did you kiss him yet?" Marla says to me with a big grin.

"No." She's being brutal tonight.

"Stop trying to be his wing girl, Marla," Josie says.

"Hey, if I don't help out, our baby will always be single. I want to double-date."

There it is. Baby. Thanks Marla.

"Come on girl, let's go dance," Marla says to Josie as she stands. Then she looks at me and James, clearly meaning business. "You two. Get outta those chairs and get your butts on the dance floor."

I look at James, wondering if now he will take his chance to flee. He looks back at me. We both get up and follow Marla.

We dance for about a half hour. It was actually more fun than I thought it would be. James wouldn't win any dance contests, nor would I, but we made it fun.

Then Marla wanted to switch partners. This can't be good. I was finally thinking I was winning some points back with James and now this.

I start dancing with Josie. I look at her with concern on my face, then back to James and Marla, then back to Josie.

"Relax, hun. Marla knows what she's doing," Josie says to me.

"I'm afraid she might chase him away."

"Nah, she's just testing him. We had a little girl talk in the restroom and she said she'd support you if you like James that much."

"I don't know why, but I like him," I tell her.

Josie simply smiles before Marla switches back.

I look at James and figure I had better assess the damage so I can figure out how to undo it. "What did she say to you?" I ask.

He gives me a pleasant smile and says, "She's just trying to protect you."

My gut feels heavy. Did she threaten him? He is smiling so maybe not?

"Yeah," I say as I attempt to explain. "She is overly possessive. Even my mom isn't like this." I instantly regret throwing mom out there. I must sound like I'm 12.

James laughs, which surprises me a bit. Then he says, "Is she like this with all the guys you meet?"

Might as well confess. I nod and say, "Yeah, when things don't work out, she's always been there to pick up the pieces and put me back together."

James face softens a bit. I wonder what he's thinking now. We end up dancing for another 30 minutes before we head back to the table.

"It's only 11:30. We still got another hour-and-a-half til last call. Wanna change bars?" Marla asks.

"I do," Josie says.

"I can't," I tell them. "I have to work tomorrow, and I didn't get enough sleep last night before I had to work this morning. If I stay out any later, I'll be a wreck tomorrow and my mom won't be happy." I'm just making up an excuse. In reality, I was an utter wreck getting up this morning, but it was mostly due to the alcohol. I slept for a long while after work this evening so I should be fine.

"I should go too. Let me pay for the beer," James says.

I look and him and say, "Oh, no I got it. You can't." I already have the tab running. I can't let him pay for my beer.

"I insist. You're all college students. I'm old, single, with no kids and got everything paid off with plenty of disposable income now." He laughs but I feel like he just called us all kids.

I plaster on a fake smile and reply, "Fine. I'll go with you." I turn to Marla and Josie and say, "Bye ladies."

Marla glares at me and says, "You better go home like you said and get some sleep."

I wave at them and turn to follow James, ignoring Marla's implication that I am going to be doing something else besides going home and sleeping.

We hadn't been here at the bar for even two hours, so we hardly had drunk all that much beer. I feel somewhat better that the bill James paid was small.

I felt like being a smartass though, and with a big grin I say, "If I had known you were buying, I would have drunk more."

He looks at me, then says "Maybe next time?"

I look back at him. Did he just ask me out on a date? Or was he simply offering to buy should we meet again?

"Sure," I reply. That should cover both situations, I hope.

He looks to the side and points, "I'm that way."

"Oh, I'm the other way," I point.

Suddenly he looks all serious and says, "Take care." He then turns toward his car and starts walking away.

Huh? What the hell just happened? Instantly I feel a huge loss. I had hoped that maybe we could spend more time together, go somewhere else, without Marla and Josie. But it seems he took this as his opportunity to flee. My heart feels like ice.

"Bye," I say to his retreating back, sad to see him go.